SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is there a Clash between the Tutors and the AFC

+17
unseenfriends
MoMer
wattie
Janhar
OnlyVisitingEarth
notabigjump
mac
Beds1970
Lis
JNR
Jbodoski
snuboyo
Anniemillo1
iceblue
Slatewriter
toolsey2
Jane Lyzell
21 posters

Page 1 of 38 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 38  Next

Go down

Why is there a Clash between the Tutors and the AFC Empty Why is there a Clash between the Tutors and the AFC

Post by Admin Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:04 am

My attention has been drawn to an issue that has been building up at the Arthur Findlay College. These piqued my interest because it seems the SNU , as evidenced ibn the battle over Psychic News Closure, has a terrible record in man management, in coping with problematic issues and being open and free in the disclosure of actions they are taking.

I looked at the SNU’s Presidents Blog for June; to see if there was anything that showed what could be a problem. I was aware that their ban on animal services and animal communication had created friction, but I was also picking up that this was the tip of an iceberg about an upswell of disaffection about the way that contracts may be being set up.

https://www.snu.org.uk/news/presidents-blog-june-24

President’s Report: Minister Jackie Wright

Obviously I cannot reproduce this but I note some matters which did potentially relate to underlying internal issues

‘Most recently, we have employed Rachel Shannon as our human resource manager. …….. she is helping us with our staff contracts and our policies. ….some of our important policies have not been updated since 2016. ….. One of Rachel’s first priorities is to take a critical look at our complaint’s procedure.

Permitted Activities

The NEC agreed on what would be permitted activities within our churches and centres …. it seems that other activities not permitted are starting to filter in. This is unfortunate …. some activities churches are organising run the risk of undermining our religion.

Animal communication or Animal services are not allowed nor is the teaching of this topic in our churches, centres and the Union’s teaching centres.

Sadly, a trend of serving alcohol has crept in our demonstrations of mediumship evenings…. we are not entertainment nor a public house. Our churches and centres are sacred places.… the risks of breaching licensing rules, which can cause …. reputational damage to churches and centres.”

Not a lot but maybe a little smoke arising as views on permitted activities, contracts and grievance procedures can create friction in any work place

Just a couple of odd issues in the rest of the blog, contained in other reports, that could be seen in relation to what has occurred.

In some way, given what is now happening and the permitted activities in an SNU centre, this piece, from one of the VP reports shone out Barbanell Centre
“Seamus Davies at the Barbanell Centre has seen an upturn in course bookings thanks to extending the opportunity for non-SNU tutors to hire the centre and work there.”

Then, given the name this from the other VP’s report about the Ministers Development Committee. I may have read more convincing obituaries to a departed fellow.
“MDC were saddened to announce the resignation of Minister Colin Bates from the development committee; “Colin’s compassion and passion have been invaluable in the training of our Ministry and the help he has given to progress the future of our ministry. We wish Colin well.”

So, nothing there to indicate that something significant was about to happen, just some light smoke haze, no obvious fire.

Then on Tuesday the 23rd this was posted to social media by each of the tutors that signed up to this action

“BRINGING TRUTH TO LIGHT

An Urgent Announcement from the following AFC Tutors:

Ministers: Bill Thompson, Colin Bates, Libby Clark, Simone Key

Officiants: Angie Morris, John Johnson, Kitty Woud,

Diploma Holders: Anne-Marie Bond, David Schiesser, Pauline Silver, Shelley Youell

Certificate Holders: Andrew Manship, Andy Byng, Chris Drew, Lillian Steiner, Lynn Probert, Mia Ottosson, Sandie Baker, Sharon Harvey, Tony Stockwell.

Due to the current working conditions at the Arthur Findlay College, our position at the AFC has become untenable: we are no longer able to work under the current leadership of the SNU, or under the direction of the current Collegiate Committee. The conditions that we are facing at the AFC are not, we believe, conducive to creating a truly spiritual environment that our students can flourish in, nor do they support us, your tutors, in delivering world-class teaching and a genuine spiritual community during our teaching weeks.

Each of us loves the Arthur Findlay College, we have each dedicated the vast majority of our lives to the institution, and we genuinely care for our students. While each of us wants to temporarily withdraw our weeks and teaching services from the AFC with immediate effect, we also recognise that we have a responsibility to our students, and we want to make sure that the immediate impact on students is as minimal as possible.

As such, we are announcing today that until significant changes take place to the working culture at the AFC, and the leadership of the SNU and AFC, we will be temporarily withdrawing our weeks, and participation on weeks, at the college from 24th August 2024.

Please know that we have done everything in our power to avoid this situation, and we would not temporarily withdraw our services without good reason. As a group we are standing up for our rights, and we are doing what we believe is in the best interests of the Spirit World, and Spiritualism in general, in the long-term. Our pioneers stood firm, and had the courage and foresight to stand up and be counted when it mattered, and it would be remiss of us if we did not muster that same courage to stand together at this time. Please understand there is a reason we must remain silent as to the exact reasons we are temporarily withdrawing our services at this time, but also maintain the hope, as Martin Luther King, Jr. famously declared that ‘Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to the light’, and suffice to say that is exactly what we are doing at the moment.

We remain hopeful that we will be able to work in partnership with the SNU and AFC leadership to resolve these issues amicably, but for now we have no other option but to act in unison.

If you have booked a course at the AFC from 24th August onwards, and no longer wish to attend then we encourage you to contact the AFC immediately to see what your options are. You can find the AFC’s booking terms and conditions here
(https://www.arthurfindlaycollege.org/terms-and-conditions/), and you can contact the AFC at bookings@arthurfindlaycollege.org or +44 1279 813636

We hope you will stand with us during these dark times and help us to bring Truth to Light.

#truth2light”

This is a stunning action from 20 highly respected Tutors. However, they allowed themselves to commit to running the courses they were booked to until the 24th August to allow students and the college time to adjust. They also made it clear that they felt there was no other action they could take, to try and bring about a resolution to the significant issues that they faced.

The next step was a bit of a shock, someone issued a notice cancelling all the Zoom courses these tutors were booked to run with immediate effect. https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=8065074486941297&set=a.206402362808588

There was a reaction to this post as Paul Jacobs, who seems to be one of the movers and shakers on the SNU side in this matter, said that the cancellation pror to 24th August wer an error by some undefined SNU person and that these dates wer going ahead with the booked attendees now being contacted to put them right. However, none of the affected tutors had been contacted prior to this so it seemed more like a draconian step that the SNU may have backed away from

I note that some of the social media poster on this issue are confused about what these 20 Tutors are seeking as they have not released the matter that are involved. However, there is a great deal of support and sympathy for them, as these individuals have always been highly respected. To non SNU people they are the face of the SNU, they are the people who travel overseas to help other centres teach people and to whom many go to the AFC choosing their teaching.

As a result, I believe we respect their integrity, and it seems clear there must be a legal reason why they are unable. Has some legal action been taken to prevent them from sharing their issues with us? It begs the question of why the AFC/SNU would take this action against accredited and qualified Tutors who have passed their qualifications legitimately. The devil must be in the detail of new contracts that are being pressed upon them. Why would the SNU require this to be a secret?

I also wonder if they are feeling this way are there other tutors who have not acted due to the pressure that they feel under. Paul Jacobs, in replying in the thread mentioned above indicated that may not be the case, he is happy, but he is only one person, however highly placed in the AFC and strongly involved in the issue.

I am sure there is much to come out of this event. We could hypothesis on what 20 tutors would find unacceptable about proposed new contacts (reading between the lines on Paul Jacob’s comments, in the above thread, this has to be the basic issue).

Surely it could not be a denial of their right, earned through their expenditure, effort and study, to use the term TSNU elsewhere than in SNU centres, that would surely have to apply across the board to MSNU, OSNU, CSNU and DSNU. A restriction which may fail as a distraint to trade and one that would surely hurt the SNU. The Tutors working in non SNU centres, all around the World, are a huge benefit to the reputation of that organisation.

Who knows it could be many other things, the way Tutors are being expected to work, control of them telling them not to fraternise with students out of teaching hours. It could as like as not be about different views of God.

Oh well hypothesis we will only know as information comes out, as we knew from the Psychic News issue even the NEC leaks like a sieve and it’s an election year for the President. I do find it interesting that this is since a new HR manager has appeared. Sometimes HR people, in the modern business environment, have a heavy handed approach which may be out of place in the AFC environment when most tutors are not employed there permanently but step in on different courses, therefore need to earn other income.

Given the Psychic News issues I would bet solicitors are involved, hopefully the tutors can get advice but the SNU has a lot of money it has been known to throw at bad issues. Hmm I have some ideas with UK contacts on legal advice, I may have to see what is about that could create a power balance.

Maybe good sense will prevail, and things will get resolved. Past events show a tendency for this organisation to dig in so far sometimes they bury themselves.

Here is the Psychic News Thread. https://www.spiritualismlink.com/f37-psychic-news-what-the-spiritualist-national-union-did

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Jane Lyzell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Why is there a Clash between the Tutors and the AFC Empty Re: Why is there a Clash between the Tutors and the AFC

Post by Jane Lyzell Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:04 am

Exciting to follow this
Jane Lyzell
Jane Lyzell

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Why is there a Clash between the Tutors and the AFC Empty Re: Why is there a Clash between the Tutors and the AFC

Post by toolsey2 Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:55 pm

Hello ,
I thought the whole point of Arthur Findlay’s college was to remove the dogma surrounding official teachings and each person is able to attune themselves to a psychic stream and grow as much as we can spiritually to make the material world more kinder to the planet and animals the world is in enough trouble as it is with false preachers such as established religions like Christianity plonked on top of the official pagan structures, there is enough evidence the establishment stole the story of Jesus from the people and changed the narrative to suit their power structures.
So this sounds with churches and sacred places a long way off from teaching people how to access God by themselves and not what I thought Arthur Findlay setup the college for to seek the truth.

toolsey2

Admin and notabigjump like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:10 pm

What is this about: "Animal communication or Animal services are not allowed nor is the teaching of this topic in our churches, centres and the Union’s teaching centres. "

what!!!????  animal communication in Spiritualism?  what!!!????

I'm an Independent Member and I'm pleased I'm not linked to SNU Spiritualism any more than that.  Crying or Very sad   40 years a Spiritualist by the way.... I was a late-starter. Wink

mac

toolsey2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:45 am

mac wrote:What is this about: "Animal communication or Animal services are not allowed nor is the teaching of this topic in our churches, centres and the Union’s teaching centres. "

I'm an Independent Member and I'm pleased I'm not linked to SNU Spiritualism any more than that.  Crying or Very sad   40 years a Spiritualist by the way.... I was a late-starter. Wink

Different issue, its a minor one in this but worth separate discussion Mac. As Lis reminds me, many SNU churches through the 1960's to '80's, especially in the dark satanic mills of thr North, had an annual animal day. Depends a bit on how precious you are about the divine. Over here we call ours a Sunday Meeting, we communicate with the Spirits of those who have had a physical life. God's above the pay grade of mortals like us, cripes!, even Maurice B needed an intermediate spirit to lower the vibations enough for a highly developed Spirit, the Big Jump, who used Silver Birch in the middle, to allow contact with a human in the physical world.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

toolsey2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:54 am

I am gathering more information and collating it.

I find something ironic in this issue

If I am employed in a workforce and have a problem my Union will step in to help. In this case they are part of a Union and it seems to be oppressing them. Who can help in this case.

I have studied past Union issues and often they refuse to allow you legal representation at any meeting with them,, albeit their own lawyers may attend. Their are some fascinating tales out there, some now dropped from the web, their legal record and attempts to pressure people are rather legendary. Is history repeating here?

It might need the tutors to take a class action, or get one pro bono from some sympathetic person, to force an end. Whatever the case, surely the SNU can see this does not look good, in Aus we would say its failed the pub test of whar a reasonable person may expect.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

notabigjump likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:44 am

Admin wrote:
mac wrote:What is this about: "Animal communication or Animal services are not allowed nor is the teaching of this topic in our churches, centres and the Union’s teaching centres. "

I'm an Independent Member and I'm pleased I'm not linked to SNU Spiritualism any more than that.  Crying or Very sad   40 years a Spiritualist by the way....  I was a late-starter.  Wink

Different issue, its a minor one in this but worth separate discussion Mac. As Lis reminds me, many SNU churches through the 1960's to '80's, especially in the dark satanic mills of thr North, had an annual animal day. Depends a bit on how precious you are about the divine. Over here we call ours a Sunday Meeting, we communicate with the Spirits of those who have had a physical life. God's above the pay grade of mortals like us, cripes!, even Maurice B needed an intermediate spirit to lower the vibations enough for a highly developed Spirit, the Big Jump, who used Silver Birch in the middle, to allow contact with a human in the physical world.
I'm not following you, Jim....  You've mentioned that in the dim, distant days of the 60s to 80s our northern SNU churches "had an animal day" but not enlarged on it.

what, why?  What on earth is/was an animal day?  I do understand the nature of animal existence and the connection to soul/spirit so I'm not questioning any of that.

I don't do "divine" in any sense 'cos for me it's mainstream religious teaching.  I usually avoid so-called Spiritualist Divine Services - often held on the traditional mainstream 'church day' of Sunday. Other than meeting the legal requirements for this religion's formal registration/recognition it has no meaning and no importance for me.

I'm a simple dumbo for whom Modern Spiritualism is fundamentally about the message of our survival and the demonstration of the principle using evidential mediumship.  That's not to say it's the ONLY aspect I am interested in because there's more to this simple soul than ONLY the above.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Slatewriter Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:40 pm

1. The SNU recently made a ruling that animal communication events should no longer be held within their churches and centers. Not animal healing or animal survival messages, but demonstrations and classes on telepathic animal communication.
That's one issue.
2. Even more recently a large group of tutors from the Arthur Findlay College have come together to make a public announcement on Facebook.
This group of 20 respected AFC tutors have banded together over long term issues with current management, unfair treatment and unacceptable new employment contracts. Taking an unprecedented step the AFC 20 have announced that they will withdraw their services at the college from Aug 24th while current management is in place. This move coincides with the upcoming SNU presidential election and the anniversary of Arthur Findlay's passing.

Slatewriter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:16 am

Slatewriter wrote:1. The SNU recently made a ruling that animal communication events should no longer be held within their churches and centers. Not animal healing or animal survival messages, but demonstrations and classes on telepathic animal communication.
That's one issue.
2. Even more recently a large group of tutors from the Arthur Findlay College have come together to make a public announcement on Facebook.
This group of 20 respected AFC tutors have banded together over long term issues with current management, unfair treatment and unacceptable new employment contracts. Taking an unprecedented step the AFC 20 have announced that they will withdraw their services at the college from Aug 24th while current management is in place. This move coincides with the upcoming SNU presidential election and the anniversary of Arthur Findlay's passing.

Thank you Slatewriter, there is a place for that discussion but not on this thread which is about the 20 Tutors, their future, what impact this may have on the AFC and SNU. I note your point about the potential political issue but believe the latest statement from the 20 tutors puts a better light on those matters.

Given that statement I will stop any further speculation, as they request, because it could predjudice matters at mediation. Hopefully for the tutors, the AFC, the SNU, its NEC and for Spiritualism generally the result will fall out in the right way without further damage. The SNU is the only organisation with the capability to generate promotions that will remind people of Spiritualism, what it is and does. Unless we attract the attention of people OUTSIDE the movement, to take a serious look at us, we will slowly expire. That needs first of all Great Promotional work maybe even a Propoganda tour just as Barbanell started in the late 1940's, intelligent speakers, a proper exposition of what we offer to the World and that final compelling piece, as the cornerstone, great proof of survival mediumship (let us say it clearly if its not about proof of survival its not mediumship)

This must be resolved in a way that heals all hurts and draws people together again.

The SNU issued a suitable response with no threats which is a start.

The Spiritualists' National Union
Plain text version of the statement:
SNU Statement regarding recent social media posts by tutors - Wednesday 24th July 2024.

The Spiritualists’ National Union (‘SNU’) are aware of a series of posts shared to social media by a small number of tutors, regarding a proposed cessation of services by them at the College from 24 August 2024.

Whilst the SNU are aware that these posts have caused concern to students and those booked onto courses from this date, please be assured that there are no plans to cancel any courses. The AFC and Barbanell Centre will continue to deliver a world-class educational programme.

We thank you for your continued support, understanding and patience, all of which are greatly appreciated.

Further updates will follow as soon as we are in a position to do so.

Here is the statement of the 20 tutors. I have great respect and would have always recomended these to people going on a course at the AFC.

A RESPONSE TO THE SNU’S STATEMENT ON 25TH JULY 2024
An Urgent Announcement from the following AFC Tutors:
Ministers: Bill Thomson, Colin Bates, Libby Clark, Simone Key
Officiants: Angie Morris, John Johnson, Kitty Woud,
Diploma Holders: Anne-Marie Bond, David Schiesser, Pauline Silver, Shelley Youell
Certificate Holders: Andrew Manship, Andy Byng, Chris Drew, Lillian Steiner, Lynn Probert, Mia Ottosson, Sandie Baker, Sharon Harvey, Tony Stockwell.

The origins of our complaint did not start seven months ago, but five. In February 2024, at the start of this process, we reached out to the Union and requested a meeting. While this was initially offered, the scope and conditions of that meeting could not be agreed on, and so it never took place. Since this date, no further invitation to meet with the NEC has been extended to us, despite us making it clear that we will always be open to mediation.

At the end of February 2024, we filed an official complaint with the SNU, outlining the full extent of our grievances. As such, the Union has known since February 2024 what the full extent of our grievances are.
Unfortunately, it is a mandatory requirement for complainants to sign a confidentiality agreement or NDA on submitting a formal complaint to the SNU, and at this juncture we are of the understanding that we are still bound by that agreement.

We can confirm that due to the seriousness of the allegations within our complaint, the SNU opted to establish a Commission of Enquiry, as set out in its bylaws, to independently adjudicate on this matter, and requested that the Complaints Committee ceased their investigation into the complaint, which was already ongoing.

At no time, since our formal complaint was lodged, have the SNU reached out to offer mediation, nor have they offered us the option of independent representation. Indeed, when we made such a request the SNU denied it.
We are currently preparing to present our complaint to an independent third-party tribunal for adjudication. Until our grievances have been heard, and a judgement has been made, we are unable to comment on the specific details of our complaint.

None of the above-named tutors have broken the terms of the collective confidentiality agreement that we signed, nor will we, so please treat the reasons that anybody presents as to why we have acted to be mere speculation and/or hearsay.
For the last five months we have continued to offer our services despite what we have been facing, but it has taken a toll on our mental health as the stress of dealing with our complaint, the situation, and the leadership of the SNU and AFC, has increased week on week over that time. It has been the hardest decision of our lives to temporarily withdraw our services from the AFC, and one which we have agonised over and not taken lightly.

We would like to remind you that the vast majority of the above named tutors have offered their services at the AFC for many years. None of us have transgressed any rules during that time, nor have we ever vocalised any of our concerns publicly because in the past we have always been able to voice our concerns and work in cooperation with the SNU to resolve them. Unfortunately, in this instance, we have had to fight at every step to be heard, and our complaint has been frustrated at every turn.

We sincerely apologise to all those affected by our decision. We have given five-weeks notice so those immediately affected have the necessary time to deal with their situation, if they wish to, in line with the AFC booking terms and conditions.

We understand that some people may be disappointed with our decision, some even angry, and so we call on sensitivity to be your voice to both parties involved in this complaint.

We will continue to work diligently to bring this truth to light so that it cannot be conveniently swept under the carpet, or what actually took place re-written. And while we recognise that recollections of these events may vary, we are confident in the fact that all of the assertions we have made in this announcement can be corroborated by factual, documented, evidence.

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding, and once we are allowed to speak freely and publicly on this matter, we will then be in a position to elaborate further on the causes of our complaint.
#truth2light

In Many ways this video, from Simon James, promoting a December Event is a reminder of what this and Spiritualism should be about https://www.facebook.com/AFCstansted/videos/879111904061682

I am on a watching brief, and, as always happens with this forum, there are many ways that information reaches me on a anonymous basis. With the aliases in use and ocasional dummy emails Admin receives much to sift and weigh.

Best wishes to all let us hope this is resolved very quickly and in a way that aids the Spiritualist Movement as a whole.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:08 pm

Slatewriter wrote:1. The SNU recently made a ruling that animal communication events should no longer be held within their churches and centers. Not animal healing or animal survival messages, but demonstrations and classes on telepathic animal communication.
I get that the SNU made that ruling but I don't get WHY (quote) "animal communication events" would ever have been found in SNU Spiritualist churches in the first place. Rolling Eyes

I don't 'do' church but I would not expect to find such nonsense in an SNU Spiritualist church/centre. Now it's had to be ruled there is to be no more of it one is left thinking that some churches' organising committees knew it was happening and presumably condoned it.

Should they be considering their positions?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:24 pm

Slatewriter wrote:
Even more recently a large group of tutors from the Arthur Findlay College have come together to make a public announcement on Facebook.
There appears to be two distinct issues.  

Firstly the tutors appear unable to get on with the AFC management. Secondly it's claimed there's been unfair treatment and unnacceptable new employment contracts.  They are employment issues  and workers have, of course, the right to withdraw their labour if the dispute can't be resolved by negotiation.  Collateral damage is often unavoidable in such situations.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:47 am

mac wrote:
Slatewriter wrote:
Even more recently a large group of tutors from the Arthur Findlay College have come together to make a public announcement on Facebook.
There appears to be two distinct issues.  

Firstly the tutors appear unable to get on with the AFC management. Secondly it's claimed there's been unfair treatment and unnacceptable new employment contracts.  They are employment issues  and workers have, of course, the right to withdraw their labour if the dispute can't be resolved by negotiation.  Collateral damage is often unavoidable in such situations.

My suspicion is that there may be another issue here Mac, they are not regularly employed and receive fees for service not regular pay (I have no deep understanding, their may be a couple who are on the payroll but I doubt it). This means they are effectively contractor,s self employed people who agree to supply there services for a fee. Lis and I have worked as a contract consultant for some time providing business and other advice through our company, of which we are both employees. The Business I supplied the majority of my time to had a formal contract renewed annually with notice periods for termination etc etc. The Company got a lawyer to produce the first one which was naturally in the companies favour. Lis and I ripped it up and produced a replacement which was fair to bothe parties. The reality in changing from an employee I was helping the company out of a problem, so there was mutual good faith.

Now this has obviously worked successfully at the AFC since its inception. So something is obviously imbalancing a type of relationship which has functioned pretty well for all parties.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:57 am

I hadn't thought the tutors would have employee/employment contracts other than as self-employed contractors to the AFC the way you've mentioned, Jim. That makes sense.

It appears there may be some incompetence in the AFC management given the previous, presumably-good, relationships with their tutors. Would you agree?

Perhaps, though, someone in the SNU is taking advantage of the tutors' giving nature? They are serving the spirit by helping develop others whose roles will also be in serving the spirit through mediumship etc. How deplorable it would be to take advantage of it by imposing unacceptable contract terms - if that's what's been happening.....

mac

Admin and notabigjump like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:44 am

mac wrote:I hadn't thought the tutors would have employee/employment contracts other than as self-employed contractors to the AFC the way you've mentioned, Jim. That makes sense.

It appears there may be some incompetence in the AFC management given the previous, presumably-good, relationships with their tutors. Would you agree?

Perhaps, though, someone in the SNU is taking advantage of the tutors' giving nature? They are serving the spirit by helping develop others whose roles will also be in serving the spirit through mediumship etc. How deplorable it would be to take advantage of it by imposing unacceptable contract terms - if that's what's been happening.....

I hope we find out and it gets sorted, I suspect the Tutors work at the AFC for less than they would if running a workshop at an indivicual church. It must also disrupt their life quite a bit so they really doing a service to Spirt, the AFC and the students.

I noted above that ther is a new HR person in teh SNU, who Jackie Wright has reviewing all contracts and grievance procedures. If she comes from the moderfn business world she may have little understanding of balancing the interests of both the contractor and what she whould think is the business. On emay expect a better balance in an organisation devoted to Spirit rather than one maximising profits to shareholders and maybe boosting management bonuses. Could be this but we are ony creating hypotheticals, the HR manager may just be reflecting what the President of the SNU ( who is also the General Manager of the AFC) wants. But its a hypothetical!

However, the SNU has form in this area, in terms of the events surrounding the actions on Psychic News the morals and ethicals of the dealings were at the bottom end of allowable business practice, not at the high end one may have hoped an organisation like the SNU would wish to aspire to. I suspect, had they dealt with it at that high end, they may have achieved their aim, instead their behaviour really fuelled the opposition.

So we wait and watch.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:53 am

Now this is fascinating, yes its political David Bruton on this issue, because he is standing as President again.

Bruton was never my favourite, over his efforts with Psychic news, a battle he lost, or on his push to have all SNU churches associated with a formal Minister and in some actions around individual Churches; but well worth a listen to. Thanks for sharing this on Helen DaVita . However, I am not sure the current president is showing up any better than he, the SNU needs reform surely.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:03 am

Hmm thought about that a bit more, it cannot have been easy taking over as President with such long experienced and established figure like Coulston, Judith Seaman and the Uptons ( who I had not realised were departed under a cloud) and the rather strange appointment of Hadley. The loss of his role to Jackie Wright and other changes may have changed him. This of teh trustees and reports from people who have attended the AFC may have opened my eyes to far about Minister Wright.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by notabigjump Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:39 am

Several issues of concern present themselves regarding both the tutor issues, the college and the SNU.

One cannot continue a system of nepotism, where the President of the union is so present on other committees and working as a tutor at the college. A good leader knows how to delegate responsibility and trust the right skillset to deliver.

In the case of the Arthur Findlay College, the President and the Chairman of the college committee are one and the same – Minister Jackie Wright. Furthermore, this committee is influenced by a course coordinator and a tutor representative, chosen personally by her, that are also her close friends. In fact so close, they share their holidays together and post about it on social media.

A previous experience with the Mr Paul Jacobs several years ago, ended badly for him when he was the course coordinator before. Many tutors found him unfair and favouring his own mentees. This led to a minor uprising whereby Mr Jacobs resigned and left, (apart from his tutor responsibilities). It appeared to be in some kind of self-imposed exile. It would appear history is repeating itself and he has learned nothing.

Tutors spend years training and educating themselves to become college tutors. The cost is great to many of them, with each stage requiring an SNU fee and then travel and accommodation must be factored in. The average time to become an tutor from start to finish, appears to be 7 – 9 years from what I have read on social media. It would take less time and possibly less expense to study a first degree and a masters in this timespan. One could begin medical school and be working as GP in a similar timescale.

Therefore, it is concerning with such a significant sacrifice to become a tutor, that nepotism is prevalent and a couple of tutors who haven’t fulfilled the training requirements have been given tutor status, by this current committee.

Clearly there is a strong case for tutors to take action against this, but the committee ‘holiday club’ appear to ride roughshod over them and break the conventions they are supposed to endorse. Where is the duty of care?

On the issue of the tutor dispute, losing 20 well regarded tutors is a spectacular failure of management.

If the committee had any metal, they would bend over backwards to get them back quickly, before the PR disaster causes even more damage to the college.

To my mind, tutors who have invested so much have every right to question a new contract and not sign it until everyone is satisfied it is fair to all.

On another note, there are presidential elections at this time and I am rather unnerved by the current president posting so many ‘aren’t I wonderful’ posts. Every one appears to have far too many ‘I’s’ and ‘me’s.’

Whatever the outcome, it does appear nepotism, cronyism and false pride will bring the college and possibly the SNU to its knees.

notabigjump

Slatewriter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:13 pm

Admin wrote:
mac wrote:I hadn't thought the tutors would have employee/employment contracts other than as self-employed contractors to the AFC the way you've mentioned, Jim. That makes sense.  

It appears there may be some incompetence in the AFC management given the previous, presumably-good, relationships with their tutors.  Would you agree?

Perhaps, though, someone in the SNU is taking advantage of the tutors' giving nature? They are serving the spirit by helping develop others whose roles will also be in serving the spirit through mediumship etc.  How deplorable it would be to take advantage of it by imposing unacceptable contract terms - if that's what's been happening.....

I hope we find out and it gets sorted, I suspect the Tutors work at the AFC for less than they would if running a workshop at an indivicual church. It must also disrupt their life quite a bit so they really doing a service to Spirt, the AFC and the students.

I noted above that ther is a new HR person in teh SNU, who Jackie Wright has reviewing all contracts and grievance procedures. If she comes from the moderfn business world she may have little understanding of balancing the interests of both the contractor and what she whould think is the business. On emay expect a better balance in an organisation devoted to Spirit rather than one maximising profits to shareholders and maybe boosting management bonuses. Could be this but we are ony creating hypotheticals, the HR manager may just be reflecting what the President of the SNU ( who is also the General Manager of the AFC) wants. But its a hypothetical!

However, the SNU has form in this area, in terms of the events surrounding the actions on Psychic News the morals and ethicals of the dealings were at the bottom end of allowable business practice, not at the high end one may have hoped an organisation like the SNU would wish to aspire to. I suspect, had they dealt with it at that high end, they may have achieved their aim, instead their behaviour really fuelled the opposition.

So we wait and watch.

Jim

I do remember all the shenanigans when PN nearly left us...... Sad Rolling Eyes What's happening now is very unsettling.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:21 pm

What we truly need now is facts. Conjecture about what might be happening is unsettling and details could be inaccurate.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:29 am

Thanks notabigjump,

It seems you are very well informed. I had only just found out about Paul Jacob's Exile and reinstatement as soon as Jackie Wright became SNU President. Mark you the SNU issues are obscured in many waysto be hard to spot, it is only recently I discovered that the Uptons' had been told to leave the SNU.

I am not surprised Paul had been exiled, people I know, who have attended the college, talk openly about people leaving a course tutored by Paul Jacobs, quitting the college in tears mid course. One seeing him harassing another Tutor. I know of two students who nearly gave up mediumship as a result of Pauls tutoring, until helped by other tutors to recover.

There are other things I hear of about a particular couple of tutors, when giving messages failing to follow what they teach by appearing to pressure students to take messages. Unspecific, general Mum type "proofs" of survival (the type a majority of Mums in the UK would have done, rather than more specific evidence, I would not have regarded my Mum as a baker but she baked specific things, which are the type of evidence I might expect. I know that days are long for tutors and students but, if teh tutors have to demonstrate, I would expect them to be excellent

It is not looking good for the AFC, It seems clear, by the front put on by them, that if Jackie wins then the 20 tutors may never see mediation. Whilst at least David Bruton seems to offer an alternate plan(and he was the one who exiled Paul). I do not see this election is going to be pretty, they are the two choices.

There has been plenty of time for Minister Wright and Tutor Paul (and the HR manager) to sort the problem out. Maybe if she wins she will claim it gives her a mandate to not negotiate with the 20 tutors' so they can rebuild the AFC to suit themselves and in their form. I hope not, a diverse range of tutors is important to the health of that organisation. The legal issues are also confusing because the tutors are not employed by the AFC. Good luck in sorting this out. More bad publicity for the SNU on teh way if its not properly handled.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anniemillo1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by notabigjump Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:26 pm

Goodness me. Bullying from the platform is never acceptable. Whilst a lot of mothers may well have baked , its a pretty low blow to insist it is correct on something so generic, when you already have a clear "no" I imagined the standard was much higher at the hall than this? It reminds me of the medium who came to me and insisted my mother loved gardening and tending her flower pots. She never did at all - but she did bake some wonderful jam tarts and mince pies! She was also a businesswoman and did many other interesting things in her life, but I would presume bias towards her generation brought out the lazy assumptions, and not the spirit world!

Back to the matter in hand and I am disappointed to see that rather than provide meaningful dialogue and independent representation, the SNU would rather rush to replace the tutors, than sort out this horrible mess. I'm basing this on their rush to keep the courses running and bring in new tutors who are unknown to many.

What I find distressing is that although the tutors are freelancers, they appear to have no means of redress. I would hope that it is included contractually, that they have a right to a fair and impartial investigation if there are any issues. After all, their presence, skill and investment of time and money has kept the SNU afloat for years. They need to be treasured, respected, nurtured and given some employment rights when acting on behalf of the SNU. None of this can happen if at the very least, there is currently no complaints committee. Surely the charities commission cannot allow this to continue.

I see a lot on social media who are cancelling their bookings now and this could destroy an international spiritual haven for many. The powers that be, must wind their necks in, take the intelligent approach and get around the table with all being fairly heard, safely represented and willing to make progress.

Jam tarts all round?

notabigjump

Anniemillo1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:53 am

Once again some very good thought from notabigjump

I totally agree with your thoughts about the Tutors deserving rights, without great tutors the AFC is nothing.

At this stage one side of the Presidential campaign appears to be silent on this issue, whilst plugging tutors into the gaps created by the withdrawal of the 20 tutors. It appears to be  suggestive that if they win there will be no mediation and they will move on without them.

On the other side we have a clear commitment of a review and potential reversal of what has happened.

It appears it may well be high stakes election for the 20 Tutors.

I am sure the Charities Commission should be interested, but what they are sitting on seems to be impenatrable to attempts to light their fire.

There seem to be major deficits in the SNU organisaional stucture. Was it perchance designed to minimise the ability for a sudden overthrow of a President and the NEC. It does appear the President has to much power to act, and the complaints system is inadequate to offset this.m

It  needs a  new, strong, Trustee gorup, with membership by people selected within the Trustee group, on which the President sits All unresolved complaints go through them to finalise (I think people like Duncan Gascoyne, maybe a substantive presence like Roy Stemmann etc etc). To borrow from an Australion minor political party they are to Keep the B.....ds honest.  In more correct terms to provide some wise guidance, so including some business people with Spiritualist persuasion. Their role should be to ensure that the President and NEC operate within  the Constitutional aims and adhere to the best management (especially people) practices.

Additionally I would expect it to operate in one of the more enlightened manners, working in a cooperative, not a dictatorial manner.  This is one of the biggest problems with the whole SNU organisation (one which is often mirrored in other churches, as I experienced on a consulting job in one of their outreach care units. They seem to have no idea how to properly treat staff. Watching in the years since the Psychic News fight, I have seen actions takens which look more like an aggressive, must make profit employer, Is it, in reality, just a lack of necessary management skills.

Do not tell me that working with your staff does not work, it was the way I turned a, deemed terminally ill company around. Handed it as General Manager with the shareholders last money injection, after redundancies including the previous MD and the Manufacturing manager. I went off piste using my experience and postgrad to involve the staff, in 6 weeks we went from frames supplied 4 weeks late to on time and 25% quality defects to 0.25%. In one year a 1.25 mill turn around from loss to peofit. The SNU can surely do this, they have some great churches operating really well who know what they are doing, in a way I doubt any recent President or the NEC has.

Speaking platitudes to the churches, of how they will help, is far removed from dealing with day to day matters, the way the Tutors are being treated is a better demonstration of the underlying style of the manager or President.

I believe your point on bookings is very valid and importan . As the leader of a centre I am always asked who do I reccomend as a tutor, what course. Luckily I have a lot of contacts, people who know the tutor body, people who have attended, ideas about the suitability and content of courses. If these 20 go I have very few choices, certainly not two who look to become quite prominent. I suspect that, if I had booked for courses with many of these 20 tutors, I would cancel if a new, unknown of unsuitable, name replaces them.
Admin
Admin
Admin

notabigjump and Anniemillo1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by notabigjump Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:18 am

Unfortunately, the story has reached the press in the USA> https://www.the-sun.com/news/12108899/britains-top-school-wannabe-mystic-megs-staff-walkout/

Of course is is inaccurate but potentially damaging if it is picked up by others.

notabigjump

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:36 am

Hi felloe Mystic Meg notabigjump.

This is NOT what we need at all the very demeaning reporting which makes us look like we are all sub human nutters. Its a wonder they did not add teh line World's top teacher of Mystic Megs never saw it coming.

Speechless next will be the Sun UK

Oh it hit the UK's internet version.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:37 am

The Sun? The American publication? Does anyone who matters read it?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 38 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 38  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum