SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Spiritualism becoming Spiritism, and Spiritism. . . ?

+4
mac
Quiet
KatyKing
Left Behind
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Spiritualism becoming Spiritism, and Spiritism. . . ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Spiritualism becoming Spiritism, and Spiritism. . . ?

Post by KatyKing Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:57 pm

You can find the website of the Spiritualist organizaton that I'm registered and insured with by Googling
'Corinthian Church and Healing Association'
Don't forget those inverted commas around search terms or you'll get Spam.
Happy reading eirefox.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Is Spiritualism becoming Spiritism, and Spiritism. . . ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Spiritualism becoming Spiritism, and Spiritism. . . ?

Post by Left Behind Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:06 pm

eirefox wrote:I think that reincarnation is accepted widely among Spiritualists in Oregon and Washington.

Ah. . . tornadoes yesterday in Texas, heavy rains today in Louisiana, and more bad news from the Pacific Northwest. . . Crying or Very sad Razz

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:13 pm

I've made the point to forum contributors elsewhere that Spiritualism is beginning to be adulterated by the attempted inclusion of issues which traditionally weren't found in its teachings or 'practice' - strictly it doesn't have any formalised practices.

And here in the USA - where Modern Spiritualism had its roots in Hydesville, NY - there's an altogether different version from that of UK Spiritualism.

I'm sayin'.....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Left Behind wrote:Maybe we need to record a version of "Gimme that Old Time Religion", using Spiritualist lyrics.

"This Old House" is another great old hymn we could incorporate.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Oh, please - Sunset Poem' - Dylan Tomas (Under Milkwood) one of my favourites and the words so apt Wink

For those not familiar -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbcbgVqp4QM&feature=share
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Knees uo Mother Brown
for me.
Accompanied by the spoons.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:59 pm

KatyKing wrote:Knees uo Mother Brown
for me.
Accompanied by the spoons.

Of course whilst proving the existence of PK by bending those spoons Katy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Never thought of that. Uri Geller would never have made it as a performer with the musical spoons.
May not have much in the way of culture us Lancastrians but do we appreciate a good tune tapped out on the cutlery.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:38 pm

yet another expired thread..... Rolling Eyes

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:34 pm

equal-spirit wrote:
mac wrote:yet another expired thread..... Rolling Eyes
Encapsulated and preserved for future generations no doubt. Perhaps I need to brush up on my knowledge of "old videos" from other cults in order to keep current.

I have no idea what you mean by "old videos" from other cults....... Question

FYI it's easy to keep current with discussion threads - contribute to the ones which are still active (days or weeks but not months from the last posting) or just start your own. Forums are pretty straightforward in their operation.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by CraggyIsland Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Left Behind said "..contemporary Spiritism seems to be becoming more of a religion: sometimes voodooistic, I've heard."  Actually, there are a number of religions in Brazil and elsewhere that are called "Spiritism".  However, those who are not into Voodoo-like practices are called KARDECIANS.  They distinguish themselves from other Spiritistis who practice Voodoo.  Many 'other' types of Spiritist have adopted the Kardecian creed but continue to practice various supersticious arts.  However, Kardecianism does not promote, nor does it endorse superstition. 
Left Behind wrote:If Spiritualism accepts reincarnation, changes from being a religion to being a science, changes its meeting places from churches to study centers: then it's become old-time Spiritism.

At the same time, contemporary Spiritism seems to be becoming more of a religion: sometimes voodooistic, I've heard.

While contemporary Spiritualism is becoming more receptive to tarot, runes, fortune telling, purely psychic phenomena like telepathy and telekinesis. . . it's all becoming very hard to follow.

Maybe Spiritualists need to get back to their version of that old time religion?

CraggyIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by CraggyIsland Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:26 pm

KatyKing wrote:Have a look at post on Welcome strand. Should have started a new Topic but can't cut and paste on Kindle.
Spiritualism is about progress both here and beyond. Evolution if you must.
Spiritism posits that all progress happens on this side.
Time after flippin' time.
Thery have some sort of civil service allocating poor souls 'back' to learn lessons.
Very French And rather Roman Catholic. 'Their' astral civil service knows best what is good for 'you'!
That Astral City clip gives a taste of where they'e coming from. Very 'Brave New World', dare one suggest almost Fascistic?

Actually, Spiritism does NOT posit that 'all progress happens on this side.'  Spiritism clearly teaches that it's necessary to incarnate time and time again in the flesh, but that progress is made in the spirit world also, by looking back on your incarnation(s) and learning (in spirit) from the things you experienced.  I'm not sure where KatyKing got his info on this, but it's incorrect.

CraggyIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Another ancient thread 'pinged'.... curious.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by CraggyIsland Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:14 pm

??? What is that supposed to mean? confused 
mac wrote:Another ancient thread 'pinged'.... curious.

CraggyIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 am

CraggyIsland wrote:??? What is that supposed to mean? confused 

The thread was last active a year ago and is the second of a couple of threads recently which have been re-activated after many dormant months.  I found it curious that an old subject got fresh attention when there are so many issues where a new thread could have been started.....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by CraggyIsland Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:29 am

I read through this thread and found the subject very interesting. I'm a Spiritist, and thought it was important to correct the two ideas I commented on, namely: Spiritism is not Voodoo, and Spiritism doesn't teach that progress is only attained while in the flesh. These are two views that I've heard before, and are generally made with all sincerity, but those who make the comment(s) are sincerely wrong. I didn't see any reason to start a new thread, as no one would know why I was posting the comments~

CraggyIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by CraggyIsland Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:43 am

I think a lot of people find old threads interesting. I'm not sure why one would find it odd that someone posts on an old thread.

mac wrote:

The thread was last active a year ago and is the second of a couple of threads recently which have been re-activated after many dormant months.  I found it curious that an old subject got fresh attention when there are so many issues where a new thread could have been started.....

CraggyIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:13 am

CraggyIsland wrote:I think a lot of people find old threads interesting.   I'm not sure why one would find it odd that someone posts on an old thread.

mac wrote:

It's not commonplace for new members to post into 'dead' threads on the several other websites where I'm a regular contributor even if they do read them. Mostly they'll join an active one or start a new one...

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by CraggyIsland Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:01 pm

I guess I'm not a commonplace new member. You're posting on this old thread aren't you? You must not be commonplace either. That's probably a good thing.

CraggyIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by CraggyIsland Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:02 pm

It seems to me that most of the Threads on this site are 'dead threads' anyways.

CraggyIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:30 pm

CraggyIsland wrote:It seems to me that most of the Threads on this site are 'dead threads' anyways.

Exactly my point.... Why not start a new one?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:32 pm

Actually it can be interesting to have a new member join who has new information. I would have joined in earlier but we have a UK medium visiting our centre this week, Jim Hyndman CSNU good and a very nice guy.

CraggyIsland
I read through this thread and found the subject very interesting. I'm a Spiritist, and thought it was important to correct the two ideas I commented on, namely: Spiritism is not Voodoo, and Spiritism doesn't teach that progress is only attained while in the flesh. These are two views that I've heard before, and are generally made with all sincerity, but those who make the comment(s) are sincerely wrong. I didn't see any reason to start a new thread, as no one would know why I was posting the comments~

We have other treads on Spiritism, I think the problem is, in the same way that Spiritualism suffers from those who take it into the new age path of multidimensional non provable theorems, Spiritism suffers from the cross over towards Voodoo and beyond, I think some of the New Orleans charismatic Churches take that to an extreme.

Clearly that is not Spiritism. the Brazilian Spiritist, who attended my open group for about a year, explained in detail how Spiritism ran from operating comfortably alongside the Catholic church through a range of extremes.

Allen Kardec, just like Emmanuel Swedenborg and the New Church founded many years after his death, did not want Spiritism to be a religion it has become one in the same way as Spiritualism did, by force of circumstance because traditional churches would not accept these ideas.

Now the same way Spiritualism is stuck with new Age Progressive Centres in the public mind so will Spiritism be seen to have spread out to include more extreme ideas. I think neither a traditional Spiritualist or a Spiritist is comfortable with that.

As to developing in this life, Kardec is very definite about reincarnation and fairly rapidly coming back, with very penal ideas included for those who have done wrong. I have always remained uncomfortable with that and the fact the main mediumship is by trance from Spirit not proof of survival. It is all to easy for people, who become dedicated to teachings and books to allow their sub conscious to regurgitate the ideas in newer forms without any Spirit influence.

Well worth reading on this is a former Spiritist, who did Kardec's eulogy, has a picture drawn in "trance" in Kardec's book Genesis which he subsequently decided was his sub conscious not Spirit, one time President of the Society of Psychical research Professor Camille Flammarion.

I think there is as much depth to Spiritism as Spiritualism but we are on different pathways which cross and intersect at times.

But remember I believe in proof of survival dead threads are never dead they are just waiting for a medium to bring back a message from the other side.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraggyIsland Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:43 am

Hi Jim,
I appreciate your insight! Thanks for making me feel welcome too! I was beginning to think that perhaps I was going to be burned at the stake for posting on this 'dead' thread.

CraggyIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2