SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NDEs and Modern Spiritualism

3 posters

Go down

NDEs and Modern Spiritualism Empty NDEs and Modern Spiritualism

Post by mac Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:55 pm

I've observed how some folk's interest in the so-called, near-death phenomenon often appears far greater than any interest in the philosophical aspects of survival.  However, what's reported in accounts of situations where individuals appeared close to death is not exactly similar to what's been reported/taught about actual, corporeal death.  

For many or most it's often not obvious or clear why the two experiences are not exactly similar.  Those who experience an NDE - and those who write about them - often say someone had died and then returned from being dead.  We Spiritualists know that's not the case but explaining why to someone with no knowledge about survival can be demanding - I've tried!

Given the number of reported NDEs and interest in hearing about them what does Modern Spiritualism have to say?  It looks likely there will be ever-increasing numbers "brought back from the dead" by modern medical interventions and they can be very deeply influenced and changed by the experience.  Shouldn't we - especially those representing Spiritualism - be engaging about this phenomenon and building on the experiences of those affected by introducing them, and others just interested, to the deeper spiritual aspects?

mac

Light-Nature-Truth likes this post

Back to top Go down

NDEs and Modern Spiritualism Empty Re: NDEs and Modern Spiritualism

Post by Admin Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:39 am

A very good point Mac and Modern Spiritualism should be taking an interest in these and other aspects that modern science has visited. Change of personality after translator Botkin's induced mediumship. I suspect you have much more knowledge on NDE's than I have accumulated
Admin
Admin
Admin

Light-Nature-Truth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:29 am

Admin wrote:A very good point Mac and  Modern Spiritualism should be taking an interest in these and other aspects that modern science has visited. Change of personality after translator Botkin's induced mediumship. I suspect you have much more knowledge on NDE's than I have accumulated
Perhaps more contact with individuals fascinated by the notion of near-death and believing either that someone had "come back from the dead" and/or had experienced exactly what happens after corporeal death.

I used to be dismissive of the whole NDE idea but eventually acknowledged that NDE accounts were having far more of an impact in conveying the notion of survival than any amount of Spiritualist teaching or mediumistic communications was having.  Indeed the very difficulty of trying to find an experienced, dependable medium may result in folk never having a chance of experiencing communications with their loved ones in spirit.  

I do hope folk will remember I consider myself a staunch Modern Spiritualist who has been been promoting, presenting and discussing survival from a Spiritualist perspective for four decades. I'm not a detractor but Spiritualism ain't working for too many people.

mac

Admin and Light-Nature-Truth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:38 am

Admin wrote:A very good point Mac and  Modern Spiritualism should be taking an interest in these and other aspects that modern science has visited. Change of personality after translator Botkin's induced mediumship. I suspect you have much more knowledge on NDE's than I have accumulated
And you have far more knowledge about most other subjects, Jim!

My minuscule knowledge is underpinned by Spiritualism's teachings but although I'm 77 - almost the same age as yourself, Jim - I'm finding Spiritualist teaching is old-fashioned and does not adequately deal with modern-day issues. What's needed in Modern Spiritualism is a modern-day Silver Birch, someone able to offer guidance on the things that modern-day folk are more in tune with.

mac

Admin and Light-Nature-Truth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Light-Nature-Truth Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:50 am

Hi, mac, Jim,
I am new to the site, what a hidden gem of debate and discussion of topics this is.
I have tried to post/reply before now but don't know where it went.

NDE isn't a topic I have looked into too deeply. But my friend has and recommended Anita Moorjani to look into. I am pretty sure she was an atheist before her experience.

It seems that NDE is a personal experience that only those experiencing it can comprehend, yet life changing.
I don't have much to say on the topic but felt to add to the discussion and hope this is ok.

Kind Regards

mac wrote:
Perhaps more contact with individuals fascinated by the notion of near-death and believing either that someone had "come back from the dead" and/or had experienced exactly what happens after corporeal death.

I used to be dismissive of the whole NDE idea but eventually acknowledged that NDE accounts were having far more of an impact in conveying the notion of survival than any amount of Spiritualist teaching or mediumistic communications was having.  Indeed the very difficulty of trying to find an experienced, dependable medium may result in folk never having a chance of experiencing communications with their loved ones in spirit.  

I do hope folk will remember I consider myself a staunch Modern Spiritualist who has been been promoting, presenting and discussing survival from a Spiritualist perspective for four decades. I'm not a detractor but Spiritualism ain't working for too many people.

Light-Nature-Truth

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:14 am

Light-Nature-Truth wrote:Hi, mac, Jim,
I am new to the site, what a hidden gem of debate and discussion of topics this is.
I have tried to post/reply before now but don't know where it went.

NDE isn't a topic I have looked into too deeply. But my friend has and recommended Anita Moorjani to look into. I am pretty sure she was an atheist before her experience.

It seems that NDE is a personal experience that only those experiencing it can comprehend, yet life changing.
I don't have much to say on the topic but felt to add to the discussion and hope this is ok.

Kind Regards

mac wrote:

It's good to hear from someone new to this website - welcome! Smile

You're right that the experience of apparent (or actual) near-death is a totally subjective, personal experience. I don't agree, though, that only the experiencer can comprehend what happened. Indeed one might remark than an experiencer is very unlikely to comprehend it unless they already had some understanding of the notion of our survival of corporeal death. That same principle must also apply in the case of someone with no understanding of either!

I haven't read anything by Moorjani but she may have something to offer as explanation of what happens.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down