SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Save Psychic News

2 posters

Go down

Save Psychic News Empty Save Psychic News

Post by Admin Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:50 am

I am sharing this which I received from Walter Meyer zu Erpen who sent it to Lis and I on behalf of Roy Stemman.

People can see that this forum was part of the campaign to save Psychic News, which resulted in the ownership passing to the STF. Because the Trust Lawyer required a full Strategic Financial Plan urgently I spent two full days preparing it from a cut up copy of the paper to compute advertising revenues, expected physical and internet sales, costs staffing etc. The lawyers were delighted with the quality of the work and happy to approve the transaction as it showed no losses. Clearly what was published was very different to how I calculated the numbers, in transition they decided upon a full colour publication with shorter articles (which actually eliminated the type of longer more detailed stories Lis and I had been writing).

Clearly it worked for a while but Psychic News is now a loss making publication, so the Trust may no longer fund it.

Like Roy I would hate to see Psychic News, now 98 years old, die. However, I no longer subscribe to it myself, I stopped about a year ago and, although subscribing I rarely did more than glance at it and move on after Roy retired. I never found very much in the new format that either interested me or made me want to sharer information it published. The best job was Roy's Truth in Physical Mediumship campaign; that needs a refresh, given the number of "practitioners now around and ignoring the protocols. Equally the latest SNU vs 20 Tutors should be a subject. However, when Tony was editor of Two Worlds he was very low key about the Psychic News problems so I cannot see a punchy report coming soon.

I also note that during my subscription I never, for the last 6 years, received a notification of the new issues as they were released nor the time my subscription needed renewing. This seems a fatal flaw in ensuring ongoing sales. As I had stated to merely glance not read ( it was so rare to find anything I wanted to read especially after David Hopkins sad passing) and missed some issues entirely, it was natural to let my subscription go.

So we are now here, 6 years after Psychic News absorbed Two Worlds, which had run out of funds, with Tony Ortzen taking over the editorship of the joint publication. Psychic News is out of funds

I used to chat with George Cranley chairman of Two Worlds and when funding was short he could get Colin Fry to do a fundraiser. Maybe some mediums might do that maybe the 20 Tutors to boost their profile.

However, how deep a hole is Psychic News in. It may be better, for both creditors and staff, to move to Administration whilst the Trust maybe in a position to guarantee a solvent ending. Seeking a purchaser for the assets and getting the archives appropriately housed (maybe at the CPS in London, it would seem wrong to fight off the SNU and then give them to the Emma Hardinge Britten Library, however good Paul Gaunt is).

A few funds from go fund me is unlikely to fully fund it and fight off the inevitable.

What we really need to know is what has happened, at no time have I been contacted about my failed subscription, this process should have been automated and my reasons sought. Is teh problem content, style of teh publication, the cost of a colour magazine. The fact it dropped its traditional Spiritualist Base it is a misnomer to call it the Spiritualist paper now.

I think even go fund me people deserve a full appraisal of what has happened, what changes will improve sales and why, they need to know their is a plan.Can it survive just in electronic format?

Ok I will push a newsletter out, maybe there is some rich person who can help. I suspect that they, like the Trust, will need a plan that shows they will not just be pouring money into it,

Save Psychic News Save_p11
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Save Psychic News Empty Re: Save Psychic News

Post by mac Wed Aug 07, 2024 11:32 am

oh dear - The beginning of the end?  

I can't say I'm surprised, Jim, and like you I found little in this new publication which once could justifiably promote itself as the voice of SpiritualismI haven't subscribed to for a few years.

I found PN four decades ago when it provided valuable information that helped me build my understanding of the simple message of survival (and much more) that underpins Modern Spiritualism.  Now I won't read the drivel in it, the psychic mind, body and spirit stuff.  

As you'll be aware this Jeremiah has been fearing and also predicting the death of a movement and religion he loves dearly.  The SNU is not what it used to be; its edifices are not what they used to be; Psychic News, formerly the voice of Spiritualism, is not what it used to be.  

Perhaps we now need to move into the new millennium and the 21st century. Perhaps we should acknowledge that although the simple truth never changes the way it's delivered - to those desperate to know we don't die - can and perhaps should change.

mac

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:03 am

Somehow I missed this probably because it was only on the UK site

https://www.theguardian.com/media/article/2024/aug/11/psychic-news-magazine-faces-closure-financial-crisis
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:32 am

Admin wrote:Somehow I missed this probably because it was only on the UK site

https://www.theguardian.com/media/article/2024/aug/11/psychic-news-magazine-faces-closure-financial-crisis

I found that a very interesting article which encapsulated the many difficulties faced by Spiritualism. Somewhat curiously it was written by the Guardian's Political media editor..... Wonder if he's a Spiritualist???

mac

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:09 am

Agreed Mac
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content