SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spiritist Magazine / Review

4 posters

Go down

Spiritist Magazine / Review Empty Spiritist Magazine / Review

Post by Admin Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:12 am

Despite my reservations about the strong Christian and Reincarnation elements about Spiritism I am hugely impressed with some of the articles in this.
http://www.spiritistmagazine.com/archive.html
A hunt around the web will give you some more free downloads most notably one on Precipitated Paintings (Bangs Sisters) and Mrs Hayden
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Spiritist Magazine / Review Empty Re: Spiritist Magazine / Review

Post by mac Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:18 am

As it's impressed you, Jim, I'm going to take a look-see.... thanks!

addendum: Somewhat bizarely the 'Latest Issue' link for buying the magazine shows a July-September 2009 edition....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:50 pm

What I do find interesting Mac is the very impressive way the Spiritists do their promotion. Interestingly very little of their mediumship is proof of survival. I am going to ignore some of the earlier comments on here, from especially Katyking, because I believe Spiritists have the same challenges our own movement has.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:28 pm

I've taken a quick flick through some of the pages of the freebie .pdf documents and some article pictures put me in mind of 'Awake'.

I haven't properly read through them so I hadn't noticed the nature of their mediumship. But I've said this before that many of the online community see mediumship as simply communication with discarnates. Evidential mediumship has little significance for them and furthermore many say their contacts are with angels, ascended masters and the like. They appear to feel that they are privileged in being given special knowledge or guidance from spiritually-evolved entities, often entities who were never incarnate. But probe them a little and everything feels skin-deep, so-called information sounds 'new agish' and adds nothing to what we already know.

Although I cut my teeth about 'the spooks' by studying 'The Spirits' Book I drifted away as I found that Spiritualism suited my personality. From what my failing memory recalls of what I read there I don't see that Spiritism has anything more to offer than Spiritualism although it might appeal to the Christian Spiritualist persuasion.

And I agree that all of us face considerable challenges for the future.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:33 pm

http://www.ssnorthbeach.org/home

This may be more up-to-date, Jim.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:51 pm

http://www.ssnorthbeach.org/company-blog/spiritistcentersarenotchurches

Interesting, I found, that the organisation is strongly against Spiritism being seen and registered as a religion with churches and associated trapping, but then elsewhere on their website http://www.ssnorthbeach.org/prayers the sentiments feel like they're directly from mainstream religious teaching....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:49 am

Thanks for the comments and links Mac. Yes it is interesting about them appearing like a mainstream religion and of course they are regarded as a religion in Brazil.

Rev Stephen Hermann from the NSAC who is a friend and has visited the Mision enjoys his visits to the Phillipine Spiriritist Groups. They only do mediumship to "channel" and he is somewhat critical about elements of what they do. Still he is hugely impressed by their genuineness, care and healing work.

What does surprise me is the amount of promotion about teh major Mediums from Spiritualism. Like the stories on the Bang sisters and Maria Hayden.

Here is another examp;e about Rosemary Brown
http://spiritistknowledge.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/two-new-composition-inspired-by-f.html

I suppose I am also impressed by the quality of their promotion and dedication to charitable work. Can't help but look at the differences between their outward presentation versus that of the Spiritualist movement (or more correctly the major movements).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:11 am

"I suppose I am also impressed by the quality of their promotion and dedication to charitable work."

On these points I'm in total agreement. Increasingly I find myself admiring even those religions which really don't have much to offer in terms of their explanations of life and death but who provide unstinting community service.

Only this morning (it's 8 o'clock here) I was listening to a BBC religious broadcast which featured the work of a small church's parishioners who were providing homes for overseas parents whose children were taking part in the Olympic Games in London. Parents who could not otherwise afford to come to England because of the huge cost of accommodation etc.

"Can't help but look at the differences between their outward presentation versus that of the Spiritualist movement (or more correctly the major movements)" And such a stark difference from the recent, deplorable behaviour of our SNU, the public face of Modern Spiritualism in the UK.....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:22 am

Absolutely agree with you Mac
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:02 am

I've just been reading the piece the link takes us to, Jim, the music pieces conveyed through medium Rosemary Brown.

I know I'm a Jeremiah in terms of Modern Spiritualism's future but I look in vain for modern day equivalents of the mediumship of a few decades back or indicators that Spiritualism still has any active role.

Increasingly I find I'm referring to its historical importance rather than its present day one. Sad

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:04 am

I absolutely know how you feel Mac, even my tilting at windmills is faltering.

I posted more about Rosemary Brown on the forum today, I hope it creates more interest in the whole area. The biggest problem, for me, are all those who believe that it is good for the movement to encompass everything whilst forgetting to ensure that the reality of Modern Spiritualism is properly presented to newcomers. hence we end up with Archangels, ascended master, aliens, crop circles etc etc. Interesting stuff but no REAL proof unlike survival beyond death.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:06 am

"hence we end up with Archangels, ascended master, aliens, crop circles etc etc. Interesting stuff but no REAL proof unlike survival beyond death."

Don't get me started! I feel like a human LP on those subjects. I was in deep doo-doo only recently for daring to argue that simply claiming alien abduction doesn't make it a fact.

The issue of evidence seems to be one found only in Spiritualism. Elsewhere personal gurus, angels and beliefs seem to be the norm and man do you get in trouble for challenging any of those!

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Admin wrote:I absolutely know how you feel Mac, even my tilting at windmills is faltering.

I posted more about Rosemary Brown on the forum today, I hope it creates more interest in the whole area. The biggest problem, for me, are all those who believe that it is good for the movement to encompass everything whilst forgetting to ensure that the reality of Modern Spiritualism is properly presented to newcomers. hence we end up with Archangels, ascended master, aliens, crop circles etc etc. Interesting stuff but no REAL proof unlike survival beyond death.

Jim

I get quite despondent with all this... In fact, I'm beginning to think I'd have more look finding rocking horse manure.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:08 pm

""I get quite despondent with all this... In fact, I'm beginning to think I'd have more look (luck?) finding rocking horse manure""

....or it's IQ? Smile

It's all change and yet further change.
It's a great relief to know that we answer only for ourselves.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm

hiorta wrote:<SNIP>

It's all change and yet further change.
It's a great relief to know that we answer only for ourselves.
Wise words...
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down