SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dangers of Spiritualism?

+12
bravo321uk
dig66
LeroyC
Kavon85
KatyKing
light of truth
Admin
Left Behind
obiwan
hiorta
Quiet
Jack
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dangers of Spiritualism? Empty Dangers of Spiritualism?

Post by Jack Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:55 am

Hello, this is my first post here, and despite the fact that the question I am about to ask may make some uncomfortable, I hope for a warm welcome. I will state now that I am not opposed to Spiritualism. In fact, it is a great interest of mine, although I have never gotten around to visiting a medium. However, I have heard some disturbing reports from others regarding spiritualism which has made me rethink being involved with it. These people making these reports claim that they encountered evil spirits doing these practices. Here they are below:

http://www.reachouttrust.org/articleView.php?id=352

http://www.spotlightministries.org.uk/spiritualism.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20080223001400/http://www.espministries.com/topic_spiritualism.htm (has a few cases of people having problems with ouija boards)

I know that these reports are from people who adhere to a rather "anti-spiritualist" (understatement) form of Christianity, making their credibility somewhat questionable (I do not mean this to be anti-christian, but still that does introduce the possibility of anti-spiritualist bias). Even more concerning for me is the writings of Robert Bruce on the subject. In his book Practical Psychic Self-Defense, Robert Bruce says that some channeling/trance mediumship practices are "unwise and unsafe" (in the first edition of the book, which I own a copy of, he calls them "lunacy") because of possible exposure to bad spirits ("negs" as he calls them). He also criticizes Spiritualists/New Agers for oversimplifying protection practices against such spirits. In the end, he recommends staying away from such practices and places where they are held if one wants to avoid bad spirits. He also recommends (on a page that is not part of the following previews, page 64) that it is best to stay away from people who dabble in the occult, including spirit communication, if one wants to avoid bad spirits. Here are some links to previews on Google Books (this is the second edition of the book):

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ckow5DHdG4oC&lpg=PP1&dq=practical%20psychic%20self%20defense%20bruce&pg=PA45#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ckow5DHdG4oC&lpg=PP1&dq=practical%20psychic%20self%20defense%20bruce&pg=PA63#v=onepage&q&f=false (bottom page)

Although it should be noted that he admits that channeling can sometimes be a good thing here (which he does not seem to do in the first edition of the book):

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ckow5DHdG4oC&lpg=PP1&dq=practical%20psychic%20self%20defense%20bruce&pg=PA43#v=onepage&q&f=false

Bruce also criticizes Spiritualist/New Age beliefs for not adequately addressing the subject of bad spirits here:

http://www.astraldynamics.com/home/teachingsrealizations/182-the-popular-model-conundrum.html

So, essentially what I want to know is:
(1) What to make of these reports
(2) How do spiritualists usually deal with bad spirits?
(3) Any other relevant information

Just remember that I am not posting this because I am against spiritualism. I just have some concerns about it that I would like addressed, and I after looking around this form for a while, I think there are many people here who can address them.

Lastly, here is an article by a medium about some of the gifts dangers:

http://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/dark_side

Last edited by Jack on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wanted to clarify that I was not intending to be anti-christian)

Jack

Back to top Go down

Dangers of Spiritualism? Empty Re: Dangers of Spiritualism?

Post by Quiet Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 am

Hi Jack,

I don't accept those reports as accurately representing Spiritualism but I don't propose to explain why in detail.

Rather, I'd like to suggest that you read a book called This is Spiritualism by Maurice Barbanell. It will explain Spiritualism more articulately than I can here. Reading it will put you in a position to make a more informed decision about what to believe. It is readily available in good metaphysical book stores and through the Internet.

Here is some information about Maurice Barbanell. Spiritualism and his book.
http://www.everymanedict.com/religion-spiritualism.htm
http://www.amazon.com/This-Spiritualism-Barbanell-Maurice/dp/085384108X

I've just noticed that those Amazon prices are exorbitant and you could get a copy much cheaper from Spiritualist Churches or Theosophical Society bookshops.

Spiritualists simply believe in life beyond physical death and in leading this life ethically and with kindness and love towards others.

Through good, authentic mediumship spiritualism holds that positive contact with those who have passed is possible but it's not just a matter of picking up a phone Smile. I personally have experienced this positive contact and it was very beneficial.

Good luck in your search for knowledge Smile. It might mean reading some more positive accounts and perhaps even visiting some good Spiritualist churches. If you're British, people here are more able to recommend those better than I can.

One last thing, no-one can force you to believe anything. You should pursue your research with an open, curious mind, and reject anything that doesn't seem right to you.

All the best Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi Jack, lots of hoary old chestnuts in there.
Basically, Spiritualism is no more than recognising an aspect of Natural Law - that Life is deathless, nothing and no one dies. Change, of course is the order of things. Evidence is available that we will all survive the natural change called death, intact apart from the physical body. In essence we are the same person as we were before death, though some adjustment to our new environment takes place.
We reap as was sown, of course and no formula, religious or verbal, whether uttered by a theologian or politician can ever change that. In effect, the buck stops right in front of you, regardless of whatever beliefs you may hold.
The Spiritualists understanding of Life branches out from that point.
Spiritualism advises the benefits of leading an honest, productive life and to try whereever possible to help those less fortunate than you are. However you are always in charge of you at all times

The Dark side?
Never met it once in some 40 years. The clichéd saying 'like attracts like' applies - another Natural Law.

By the way 'dabbling in the occult' is one of the old favourites. Check your dictionary and I've seen quite a few who 'dabbled in religion' become psychiatric patients as a result.

I wish you well in your search.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:38 am

Thank you for responding, Quiet and Hiorta.

I have heard of the book This is Spiritualism. In fact, I have been meaning to get it for some time. I think that maybe I should get it a bit sooner Very Happy. I am also well aware of the teachings of spiritualism. In addition, I am also glad that neither of you have encountered bad spirits.

However, I would still like more information on bad spirits. Also, I have recently discovered a book called The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts by Joe Fisher. In it he chronicles his encounters with spirit guides who manifested through an entranced woman. They at first appeared to be nice people (one of them claimed to be his past life lover and spirit guide, and he fell in love with her), but when he checked out their biographical information he found that the information was inaccurate. They responded by trying to manipulate him. He also visited other channels, with similar results. Joe Fisher also brings up cases of spirit contact-based religions having rituals that most spiritualists would frown upon, such as blood sacrifices. Granted, one may insist that he simply picked the wrong channels to talk with, but it is nonetheless a bit of a disturbing case. I am hoping that someone here will have some comments to make on that case.

I will admit that I have not read the book yet, but I have seen a detailed review at: http://www.zaporacle.com/the-siren-call-of-hungry-ghosts/

Also, I should say that Joe Fisher's case is briefly mentioned in the second link of my original post. Still, I am asking about it again because that seems to me to be the most problematic case for spiritualism.

Finally, I would like to say one more time (to make the purpose of my questions here clear) is that these questions are not intended to be anti-spiritualist. I just figured that, after seeing these accounts, that I should get more information on evil spirits from experienced spiritualists, and this was the place to do it.

Hope for more information,

Jack

Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 am

Hi Jack,

I am curious to know why you are so interested to discover more about so-called 'bad spirits' when you don't yet know all that much about Spiritualism generally. You can be so busy looking for pot holes that you miss the beauty of the natural day.

Spiritualism is NOT focused on bad spirits or dangers. It suggests a philosophy which can provide a useful way of living and which is replicated in many other great beliefs. Spiritualism does provide authentic mediums which can act as a bridge between this dimension and the next. Authentic mediums protect themselves from any fears or dangers and know real from false.

History is resplendent with practices in various cultures which also enable communication with those who have passed. You could also study those if you are curious enough. Shamanism is a good example of one of those. Spiritualism is a Western urban phenomena which commenced in the US in the 19th century and has grown from there.

Like hiorta, I've never seen the dark side and am not really interested in it. I think you'll find that most spiritualists are not really that interested. I don't know anything about Joe Fisher but don't feel that his story (authentic or not) poses any problems for Spiritualism.

Let me give you another analogy. Medical training begins with finding how the body works before it looks at what can go wrong. Smile. So why not find out about the history of Spiritualism and how it works before looking for the bogeyman under the bed. You seem to me to be putting the cart before the horse in one way.

To be honest with you I think that human beings can be terribly damaging to each other, and we have much more to be concerned about from that point of view than we do from miscreant spirits who exist more in the imaginations of fearful people and frauds than in reality (I suspect).

So perhaps begin at the beginning, and enjoy the path which might open up before you if you pursue it. Smile. Probably, Jack, that is as much as we can tell you.

Last edited by Quiet on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:21 am

Agree entirely, Quiet. The saying: 'the only thing to fear is fear itself' applies and once it is realised that thoughts attract..... well, everything can be attributed to self-fulfilling prophesy

I have found that some branches of religion are willing to misinform their adherents, either because of their own fears or their imagination, that every dark corner has all sorts of mickey mouse dangers 'lurking' - another favourite word - in them.
In their terms the 'good' are, of course 'us' and naturally, the 'evil' are 'them'

The Spirit World is peopled by folk who once lived here, people like you meet every day. It is also more tightly regulated by Natural Law and your own folk will look out for you
Fear can be the biggest obstacle - in any world - to discovery. Think of the explorers of old, those who ventured into space or those who set off across unknown seas or ice bound continents.
The choice of outlook is in our own hands and our own mind.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 pm

It depends what angle jack is approaching this from. If he has a religious background there may be an ingrained suspicion of any contact or even research in this area due to religious teachings (as in my own case). In which case it seems reasonable to me to determine what one would be dealing with before plunging in.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Jack, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm new to Spiritualism myself, but I don't think a person is paranoid or excessively fearful or brainwashed if he approaches the subject with caution.

I agree with the saying "like attracts like". It doesn't seem to me that there is much to fear if one is approaching it with a clean mind and heart, so to speak, In any case, I recommend that we newbies defer to the judgment of the more seasoned among us.

I can highly recommend Barbanell's This Is Spiritualism, Also, Arthur Findlay's On the Edge of the Etheric. And the Monsignor Benson / Anthony Borgia series is great reading for insight into daily life in the next world.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Well put Jim

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:01 am

Thank you, Jim! Smile

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by light of truth Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:25 am

in my 25years of being involved in spiritualism and sitting in physical seances iv never come across these so called negative entities.
though i do have to add i have a very religiously christian sister, very evangelical and somehow there seems to exist a lot of demons and negativie entities in her christian church which they seem to spend their time continually casting them out.....lol! so makes me wonder if thats where they are? in christianity? and please dont come down heavy on me. each to their own. just an amusing thought to me as iv never come across these negative entities in decades but in her church they seem to be battling them continually Very Happy so, hey!..if thats where they are...in the christian churches, i say keep em there..cos iv certainly never come across one yet in spiritualism! cheers

light of truth

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:46 am

I have no doubt that in the great range of Life in the Spirit Realms, there must be those some might think of as 'dark', although all are children of the Great Spirit.

Ghosts and ghouls, the Unseen, Satan, etc. are all ikept in full employment by politicians and theologians and others who would manipulate their followers.

Let us remember the quite recent days when Spiritualists were also being painted as 'satanic' by this self-same brush.

Controlling organisations do like their wee labels which in turn saves their adherents from thinking outside of the recommended 'official' limits.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:31 am

hiorta wrote:I have no doubt that in the great range of Life in the Spirit Realms, there must be those some might think of as 'dark', although all are children of the Great Spirit.

Ghosts and ghouls, the Unseen, Satan, etc. are all ikept in full employment by politicians and theologians and others who would manipulate their followers.

Let us remember the quite recent days when Spiritualists were also being painted as 'satanic' by this self-same brush.

Controlling organisations do like their wee labels which in turn saves their adherents from thinking outside of the recommended 'official' limits.

I agree whole heartedly, hiorta. I was reading Silver Birch this morning. He said there is no devil except that which we create ourselves.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 am

light of truth wrote:in my 25years of being involved in spiritualism and sitting in physical seances iv never come across these so called negative entities.
though i do have to add i have a very religiously christian sister, very evangelical and somehow there seems to exist a lot of demons and negativie entities in her christian church which they seem to spend their time continually casting them out.....lol! so makes me wonder if thats where they are? in christianity? and please dont come down heavy on me. each to their own. just an amusing thought to me as iv never come across these negative entities in decades but in her church they seem to be battling them continually Very Happy so, hey!..if thats where they are...in the christian churches, i say keep em there..cos iv certainly never come across one yet in spiritualism! cheers

Very Happy That reminded me of the old comment that "We never seemed to be bothered with witches, after we stopped burning them!"

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:37 am

hiorta wrote:I have no doubt that in the great range of Life in the Spirit Realms, there must be those some might think of as 'dark', although all are children of the Great Spirit.

Yes: in some of the books I'm reading about the early days of seances - such as Usborne Moore's book - there are reports of undesirable spirits trying to break through.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:38 am

There is much documented experience from the early days of spiritualism and seances. I haven't read of any unpleasant experiences but maybe it's just that I haven't read enough. And I have not experienced anything untoward in circles myself.

I think we have to remember that people see and experience things through their own personal and cultural veils. If you expect trouble then you're more likely to experience something discordant. There is something in human nature that seeks this sort of stuff out as well, hence the popularity of horror stories. Some are symbolic, part of myth and literature; others are simply for escapism and gratuitous enjoyment. Harry Edwards used to love to read thrillers as a form of relaxation Smile. In his day thrillers were probably not as pathologically explicit as they can be today.

Ignorance, fear and guilt are very powerful. We can project them on to all sorts of experiences and relationships.

I am interested in this from the point of view that thought is energy and that negative thoughts can rebound on us in the most frightening and powerful way. Silver Birch and Ramadahn speak of this phenomena in their own ways. It is the way karma works as well. I have personally experienced this in a most educative way but know how to prevent it from happening again Smile.

Ursula Roberts speaks of people trapped in repetitive and dark cycles of desperation and suffering over various lifetimes until they actually learn to love, forgive and let go. This may also be an example of the effects of negative energy.

Sometimes these negative thoughts, energies and cycles can be seen as 'possession' and the influence of lost spirits. Eventually one comes to understand what living life according to the 'law' means for us personally and how this can lead to little but peace and happiness.

Probably there will always be speculation. We won't really know until we pass, and maybe not even then. Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:00 pm

I've been a medium since 1977 and never come across any of these so called 'bad spirits'.
Back in the day though (1850s) there's record of someone 'giving a message' in a spiritualist camp meeting in America who claimed to have been 'overcome by an impersonating spirit' because he began to 'cuss and swear' so 'several burly gentlemen carried him from the stand'.
The poor chap could have been drunk or mentally unbalanced or both. Who is to say. The negative crits of spiritualism tend to stem from the more fundamentalist and/or evangelical Christian area. Many Catholics and most Orthodox (in the Eastern Orthodox sense) are more than open to spiritualism.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kavon85 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:18 pm

I know this is old. I am new here and if I may say something on this subject.
It is quite odd that I came across this post because I had just watched a few of her videos on You Tube. She is makes statements that mediums and spiritualist actually follow Satan. She said that they believe Satan never fell, he is still in God light and he is to be worshiped (according to her Spiritualism Church).
I can tell you my first experience with a spirit was when I was 10 years old. It was my great grandmother. Without getting into a long winded story I will say that it is completely unfair for someone to take an experience THEY have and associate it with an entire group. I have been using a Ouija board, tarot cards and have had several experience with spirits, entities and God. I have assisted people with getting rid of "negative Spirits" never ONCE have I EVER experienced "evil" spirits. I have NEVER been attacked.
A lot of people do things involving the supernatural without proper protection. I believe there are negative spirits however i respect them as an entity. I do not fear them but i do not welcome them as well. I always protect myself before doing anything involving the supernatural because i feel if you don't make it clear they are not welcome you will subconsciously open a door you do not want opened. I am a firm believer in RESPECTING all forms of life including the ones who may not be as "good". You cannot experience Good without Bad. I always advise people to follow with caution. If you do not know what you are doing, please be very careful and protect yourself.
Anyone can make a religion look awful. I could probably make the Catholic religion look really bad just from my experiences, but I wont. You need to research, ask questions and find what YOU are comfortable with. No one can make that decision for you. DO not follow one persons experiance as a means to not follow through with your search.
Thank you

Kavon85

Back to top Go down

Post by LeroyC Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Kavon 85

I must agree with the majority on here. I have been there myself as a young man. In my early teens I was subjected to a verbal thrashing by a 'born again christian teacher' who warned me of the dangers of 'Spiritualism'.
I was so shaken by this that I was afraid I would burn in hell and went through months of anguish. I was acosted by fundamentalist church members who were demonstrating against mediumship, and again at this early age I was terrified that my interest in the afterlife would damn me.

How things have changed!!!. Survival is a natural law. It matters not what you believe here, you cannot escape the fact. Since then I have met muslims, Sikhs, Bahi's and Vicars in Spiritualist meetings !!!. I have read the well researched books indicated by readers on this site. What is more, like attracts like.
You do not change once you pass. if you were up to mischief here you will not suddenly become an angel. progression takes time.

I have been VERY critical of my studies in Spiritualism ( do not confuse it with occultism, new age etc, Spiritualism is about SURVIVAL evidence; its most important contribution ). I have listened to thousands of mediums, read the books and spent over 35 years investigating all aspects of the phenomena.
I have concentrated on physical medimship in particular. I have heard direct voice, felt and spoke to materialised figures and witnessed reunions with loved ones and their relatives. All of this is in an atmoshpere of love and joy. I cannot explain to you the sheer emotion and excitement I have felt when I have witnessed this. I have not in all that time ever encountered an 'evil spirit'. On the contrary, its been filled with love and harmony.

That is not to say I have not on occasion witnessed the questionable. There are good and bad mediums of course as there are good and bad in all walks of life, and I have witnessed the occasional 'odd ball' and charlatan. I had one 'famous' medim attempt to give me a sitting as he cracked open 3 cans of larger at the table we were sitting at !!.

All in all study with care and with an open mind and you will come to your own conclusions. Whatever you do, go with peace and love.

LeroyC

LeroyC

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:04 am

A very good answer Leroy I really do not need to add anything else.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dig66 Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 pm

hi iam new but been a spiritualist since a was young , if theres no evil spirits then why do mediums ask protection from evil spirits and only ask for pure spirit ,bad spirits are those that were the same in the earthly body and carry on in spirit or ghosts ,when in a church these spirits can not enter as we are protected from them . spirits that are earth bound can not find the light to heaven , we as spiritualists can help them , ive done this a few times , there is good and evil both on the earth and in spirit , my girlfriend home as a few spirits that are earth bound , good and evil , the evil spirits are witchs , ive asked god and my guides for protection agaist these as they where trying to harm her , i expect those that have never encounted evil spirits use protection ie prayers ,amen

dig66

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Riiigggght. yeti

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by dig66 Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:20 pm

obiwan wrote:Riiigggght. yeti
go back to star wars Laughing

dig66

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 pm

I never really left it.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by bravo321uk Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 am

I am sorry Dig,, and this may sound blunt, but one of the biggest dangers to spiritualism is the fantasy that you have just posted about,,, I wish people wouldnt talk this stuff as it is simply not true,, Maybe a Read of myths and misconceptions of spiritualism will help you. For me I see the damage this kind of talk does,, I have to answer questions about it from people I meet,, some of them are genuinely scared.. and its because of this type of nonsense.. How is our beautiful religion meant to grow and florish when this kind of rubbish is still being spoken about?

bravo321uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next