SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can mediumship be developed by working alone?

+2
Admin
Left Behind
6 posters

Go down

Can mediumship be developed by working alone? Empty Can mediumship be developed by working alone?

Post by Left Behind Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:07 am

Can a person who has no access to a circle, etc. develop mediumship ability by working on his own?

Is there a danger in this?

Or if it isn't apparent already that you have it, is it worth trying to develop?

All these questions are meant to apply to mental mediumship only.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Can mediumship be developed by working alone? Empty Re: Can mediumship be developed by working alone?

Post by Admin Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:16 am

Jim,

They could but they would need to really work hard in studying the really good books that were once written so they understood what they were doing. Too many these days have little understanding of what is them, their sub conscious, what is psychic and when or if they have real Spirit connection.

Sadly even when they go to groups the people who teach may have no real understanding of this either.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Can mediumship be developed by working alone? Empty Re: Can mediumship be developed by working alone?

Post by Left Behind Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:37 pm

I've also found, in other areas of life, that groups convened for a certain purpose quickly become chit-chat sessions, pools of pooled collective ignorance, or ways to blame the other guy for not doing what you were supposed to. Neutral

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Left Behind wrote:I've also found, in other areas of life, that groups convened for a certain purpose quickly become chit-chat sessions, pools of pooled collective ignorance, or ways to blame the other guy for not doing what you were supposed to. Neutral

Jim
You might find my course on managing meetings helpful... Smile (joke)

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:35 am

Admin wrote:Jim,

They could but they would need to really work hard in studying the really good books that were once written so they understood what they were doing. Too many these days have little understanding of what is them, their sub conscious, what is psychic and when or if they have real Spirit connection.

Sadly even when they go to groups the people who teach may have no real understanding of this either.

Can you recommend any particularly good books, Jim?

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:54 am

Mediumship cannot be developed from books. It is always wise to be directed and encouraged by a group, be it a home circle or a development group at a church.

You don't need books, when there is Spirit.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 pm

Azur, reading books, especially the valuable ones helps give an understanding of what we are talking about. There is always Spirit but even the best natural Mediums have developed and been trained in some way.

Without a suitable group and I am aware they are all to few and far between, especially in parts of the USA, where Jim lives, then learning what you can from the writings of others is the only start point. I wonder how many good teaching circles there are around your home area Azur? I know they are few and far between in Australia.

I would suggest books that give an idea of what Mediumship is and how it differs from Psychic. I agree that in the final analysis nothing can replace experience within a group, indeed it is almost imperative to get the necessary practice, but some of the books identify the way in which a circle can be set up. It may then be possible for Jim to organise his own circle if there are like minded people around. The fact that there is no obvious psychic or medium to run the group is neither here or there because as you say there is then always Spirit. The critical issue is the structure of the group, way it works and an understanding of the steps.

I have often been asked by my group attendees to write just such a handbook, maybe its time given we almost need to start again with people who by preference are inquirers not committed to some pre ordained belief system.

Jim as a suggestion on a few books which are easily available go to the ones I have loaded and download them to have a read.
http://www.nasm.org.au/library.html

My Life In Two Worlds Gladys Leonard
Hudson Tuttle Mediumship
Estelle Roberts Fifty Years A Medium
Estelle Roberts Red Cloud My Mission
L Margery Blazett Beyond The Five Senses

The whole list of books is worth a read as there are items which will help you look at other elements such as the earliest history and some of the research.
Life Beyond Death With Evidence Rev C. Drayton Thomas
Rev. Stainton Moses Spirit Identity
Re. Stainton Moses Spirit Teachings

I will also look amongst the several thousand ebooks I have in my library to see what else may be suitable as a quick guide

Last edited by Admin on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:24 am

"You don't need books, when there is Spirit."

I've lost count of the number of times such 'guidance' has been directed my way....

My response has always been that I can see no justification for avoiding reading anything that might improve my overall understanding.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:00 pm

I would have thought as much knowledge as possible would be helpful, even if not essential.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Absolutely I agree books can give an understanding of course. But cannot train you as a medium.

Spirit do the training,

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:34 pm

In this physical plane Azur spirit need, want and use the assistance of all who can help especially in aiding their work in training. As a trainee I know that and I will be a trainee as long as I have an expert medium in this physical world to help me as well as teh expert guides i have. It is a three fold task, self learning, including reading to enhance your knowledge base for Spirit to use, a medium here who can follow the links you have to Spirit to validate them whilst teaching you the basic needs of presentation and Spirit Guides to work with.

it is not a magical transfer from Spirit and does require dedication and work even for the best talent. Without this all you will get is a talented Medium with flaky skills.

Interestingly, without giving away clues as to your real name could you share your experiences in becoming a Medium Azur?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 pm

I think there is a misunderstanding I have nothing against books, and I recommend any novice to read as much as they can about spiritualism, mediumship etc.

But you can't develop mediumship from just a book.

I entered my first spiritualist church at 17 were I joined it's development circle. I attended the AFC in the 80's and 90's and got alot of encouragement from Gordon Higginson and Jean Bassett. I sat in home circles, and still continue to sit today for mental and physical phenomena.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Great Azur, one of the big issues for many who are on here is that they are unable to find any circle, indeed in some cases they will be hundreds of miles from one that could be suitable. Hence thay must start somewhere, without the basics even Spirit will be unable to reach a person. That is why, just like our pioneers did they need to start from scratch one step at a time.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Thank you for your recommendions, Jim. Plenty of stuff there to get me started!

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:17 am

Admin wrote:In this physical plane Azur spirit need, want and use the assistance of all who can help especially in aiding their work in training. As a trainee I know that and I will be a trainee as long as I have an expert medium in this physical world to help me as well as teh expert guides i have. It is a three fold task, self learning, including reading to enhance your knowledge base for Spirit to use, a medium here who can follow the links you have to Spirit to validate them whilst teaching you the basic needs of presentation and Spirit Guides to work with.

it is not a magical transfer from Spirit and does require dedication and work even for the best talent. Without this all you will get is a talented Medium with flaky skills.

Interestingly, without giving away clues as to your real name could you share your experiences in becoming a Medium Azur?

Well said, Jim, particularly in connection with the section I've underlined below....

"It is a three fold task, self learning, including reading to enhance your knowledge base for Spirit to use, a medium here who can follow the links you have to Spirit to validate them whilst teaching you the basic needs of presentation and Spirit Guides to work with.

I will often try to help a forum enquirer by encouraging that they begin, or progress, their learning by reading up on the very subject(s) they are asking about. Enquirers often describe personal 'spooks experiences' (that's my tongue-in-cheek description for the many situations they describe Wink ) but it seems they've never thought of trying to learn for themselves. Only rarely do they ask for suggested reading and threads often develop into a rag-tag interchange of experiences - frequently the blind leading the blind.

I usually suggest reading up on as many related issues as they can to broaden their general understanding. So often, though, it's often only me doing that. I guess I'm old-fashioned in my approach, out of touch with what modern day folk are expecting - and mostly members are significantly younger than I.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:19 am

Azur wrote:I think there is a misunderstanding I have nothing against books, and I recommend any novice to read as much as they can about spiritualism, mediumship etc.

I entered my first spiritualist church at 17 were I joined it's development circle. I attended the AFC in the 80's and 90's and got alot of encouragement from Gordon Higginson and Jean Bassett. I sat in home circles, and still continue to sit today for mental and physical phenomena.

I'm intrigued. You sit for physical phenomena.... Would you please enlarge on this aspect?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:53 pm

No I do not wish to enlarge on that aspect mac, I have no reason to.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Azur wrote:No I do not wish to enlarge on that aspect mac, I have no reason to.
Charming.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:21 pm

obiwan wrote:
Azur wrote:No I do not wish to enlarge on that aspect mac, I have no reason to.
Charming.

Here it starts again, really Laughing

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Obi, I think anyone working on physical mediumship has an absolute right to do so quietly without sharing the information. We already have to many out there who are willing to blow their own "trumpet" so to speak.

Jim could you private message me (button just benath my "name" on teh right hand side marked mp) with the geopraphic area you are in the USA, unless you want to share it publically. As you may be aware we have several US members on here and I am close friends with 2 ex board members of the NSAC and know another NSAC Rev well it is just possible I can help you find somewhere. However, don't hold your breath, I tried it for TMMW on here and teh long drive hardle merited her effort.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:11 am

Azur wrote:I think there is a misunderstanding I have nothing against books, and I recommend any novice to read as much as they can about spiritualism, mediumship etc.

I'm not sure if you know this already Azur, but in case you didn't Jean Bassett passed to the spirit realm a short while ago.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:33 am

Hi Skye,

I am aware that Jean took her transition not so long ago.

May her elegance continue in spirit.

Thanks for posting. Smile

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:55 am

Admin wrote:Obi, I think anyone working on physical mediumship has an absolute right to do so quietly without sharing the information. We already have to many out there who are willing to blow their own "trumpet" so to speak.

Jim could you private message me (button just benath my "name" on teh right hand side marked mp) with the geopraphic area you are in the USA, unless you want to share it publically. As you may be aware we have several US members on here and I am close friends with 2 ex board members of the NSAC and know another NSAC Rev well it is just possible I can help you find somewhere. However, don't hold your breath, I tried it for TMMW on here and teh long drive hardle merited her effort.
I think we may have to agree to differ here Jim. In my opinion a person who refers to their own experience as some form of authority, however obliquely, and then refuses to discuss it is at risk of being seen as a blowhard. Why make reference to it at all if one isn't prepared to discuss it?

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:02 am

Azur didn't actually speak of working on physical mediumship in the piece I asked about.

The words were, quote: "....and still continue to sit today for mental and physical phenomena."

No mention of physical mediumship.....

As my duck friend, obi, eloquently said: "....a person who refers to their own experience as some form of authority, however obliquely, and then refuses to discuss it is at risk of being seen as a blowhard."

quite!

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down