SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lorraine Holloway-White

+5
hiorta
Wes
Admin
mac
Quiet
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lorraine Holloway-White - Page 2 Empty Re: Lorraine Holloway-White

Post by mac Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:33 pm

[quote="Quiet"]
mac wrote:"Quiet"

We pretty much agree then, mac Smile hmm....not so sure....

There seems to be a strong interest in physical phenomena on this site. could well be - I hadn't noticed but there is an associated pm website too....And yes, I do generally associate this with Spiritualism, rightly or wrongly. It has its place in Spiritualism as do all other forms of mediumship - no more, no less. Giving special significance is a personal bias, I'd say.

I do support the importance of evidential mediumship. So does Holloway White, I think. agreed with all this...

I believe that people ultimately have to take responsibility for what they accept from others. Yes that's how life is.... People give away their power so easily and have to learn from experience not to do that. I've made my mistakes by mistakenly heeding others in the past - guess that could be termed giving away one's powers but that sounds a tad grand for this individual... Wink Discernment is an acquired skill. absobloominglutely - I'll be glad when I achieve a satisfactory level! Laughing

Re agreement, I suspect you like to retain a certain degree of crustiness Smile. Well, no, not really as I much prefer agreement but I do like accuracy - we agreed on some issues, not on others.

I don't have a personal view on physical phenomena except that it is not necessary for me to experience physical phenomena to believe in the spirit world now. I accept what I've read in Barbanell and other books and I've seen some mild example of physical phenomena myself. It does seem to be quite important to some people as a form of evidence and yes, in its fullness it would be something quite wondrous to experience. agreed

PM has no particular interest for me either but for others it can be life-changing I guess.

Re 'giving away power' I am referring to people who accept what others advise uncritically and unreflectively, often to their real disadvantage. Sometimes people who believe personal fortune tellers fall into this category. I understand. I suspect that they may have the impression that just because something's from 'the spooks' it's to be believed and accepted....

By personal power I mean the knowledge, wisdom,confidence and ability to assess what might be best for oneself and to take responsibility for that. Ah I see - wish I knew what was best for me - maybe one day... Wink

I used to give away my own power to doctors but after some really negative experiences I no longer do that Smile. It's natural to attribute skill and knowledge to those who are trained and experienced. Sadly it's not always the case - folk are fallible.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Ive read one of her Kindle books and good luck to her. But a concern is that fragile folk could be made worse by taking on board some of her claims. The safest way to develop is within a supportive group and the only real test of mediumship is sound demonstrated and verifiable evidence. The churches are far from perfect but those who come that route have been seen and usually you`ll know someonr who can vouch for them. Years ago as a booking secretary I was plagued by some who were convinced they were mediums and wanted a platform. For all its faults the routes existing in the reputable organisations remain our best and only safeguard that unsuitable or poorly people aren`t encouraged both to their detriment or ours.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:47 pm

KatyKing wrote:Ive read one of her Kindle books and good luck to her. But a concern is that fragile folk could be made worse by taking on board some of her claims. The safest way to develop is within a supportive group and the only real test of mediumship is sound demonstrated and verifiable evidence. The churches are far from perfect but those who come that route have been seen and usually you`ll know someonr who can vouch for them. Years ago as a booking secretary I was plagued by some who were convinced they were mediums and wanted a platform. For all its faults the routes existing in the reputable organisations remain our best and only safeguard that unsuitable or poorly people aren`t encouraged both to their detriment or ours.

I tend to agree with you, sadly these days bookings secretaries are often under such pressure to fill gaps they grab anybody as a life line.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Spot on. Plus a smaller pool of nediums to call on. I dont think standards have necessarily dropped its just that there are fewer public mediums all round. The bigger churches pay more so get first pick as a rule. The big draws work stage shows so the churches cant afford them. That said theres at least one big name will still oblige the odd church for just expenses when he can.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Agreed again, it would be nice to see more support as you suggested. The introduction of other events on a Sunday, to help minimise the demand for mediums helps over here, where the shortage of real proof of survival mediumship is much worse.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:33 pm

No change there then eh? Doris Stokes went off the boil towards the end of her work this side. But she went down gangbusters in oz. My dad who saw her down under reckoned it was because fewer folk there had seen solid evidential demonstrations such as we took for granted in England. I see bigger attendances on Saturday night dems than ever on a Sunday and encouragingly more younger people dressed up foor clubbing. We finish around 9pm as a rule and the clubs are just warming up then so we`re something of a pre night out traditiionfor some. At two pounds on the door with a cuppa included we must be the cheapest date in town.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:09 am

Then they move from Spirit to Spirit.

Yes I remember how solid the Mediumship was in the UK in the 1980's. Meeting Lis got me involved so I went round with her as she worked the churches in our circuit but we also took the chance to see other mediums. At that stage most working mediums still continued serious development work
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:47 pm

We get a fair take up at 'open circles' with a faithful core facilitating. The majority attending are comers and goers. The idea was always that folk would dip and toe at fun events then maybe come along to services and/or open circles and from that the serious minded ones could progress into formal development but the closed 'development' circles struggle as folk won't commit the time like they used to.
I know nostalgia aint what it once was but when I started none of us had cars and for most getting to church fro meetings and circles meant two buses or a long bike ride, it was always packed. Then again there wasn't the other distractions there are now and our parents thought nothing of letting us bike off to Lyceum.
Same all round I suppose, when I was a lad all of us belonged to things like St John Ambulance, or scouts or cadets, these days they can't get the leaders to run things nor the kids to sign up for them.
Parents are scared to let their kids play out or go out, it's a vicious circle.

Wow that sounded grumpy-old-mannish! So it's official. I have turned into my Dad. No
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by morriganish Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Mediums are born not made( man made) you have to the gift in the first. She is confusing the issue of Mediumship. either her concept "forced" Mediumship. Either you have the awareness or you do not I have mentioned this on her youtube channel. She said she was trying to do her bit for natural Mediumship. It is still confusion for people

morriganish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2