SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1863 medical Journal Article on DD Home

3 posters

Go down

1863 medical Journal Article on DD Home Empty 1863 medical Journal Article on DD Home

Post by Admin Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Interesting find by this blog owner

http://levelbeyond.com/2010/11/16/medical-journal-article-on-d-d-home-spiritualism-and-levitation-claims/

Hmm thanks to that person I now have the gazette in my files
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

1863 medical Journal Article on DD Home Empty Re: 1863 medical Journal Article on DD Home

Post by zerdini Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:09 am

Admin wrote:Interesting find by this blog owner

http://levelbeyond.com/2010/11/16/medical-journal-article-on-d-d-home-spiritualism-and-levitation-claims/

Hmm thanks to that person I now have the gazette in my files

The article is a very sarcastic review of Home's book "Incidents in my Life".

zerdini

Back to top Go down

1863 medical Journal Article on DD Home Empty Re: 1863 medical Journal Article on DD Home

Post by Lis Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:20 am

Yes indeed it is Z, nevertheless it is worth our attention as it lighlights the kind of opposition and criticism that our Spiritualist pioneers had to bear. Sometimes in reading the opposition we are able to see the massive flaws in their thinking and that's useful too.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:31 am

Lis wrote:Yes indeed it is Z, nevertheless it is worth our attention as it lighlights the kind of opposition and criticism that our Spiritualist pioneers had to bear. Sometimes in reading the opposition we are able to see the massive flaws in their thinking and that's useful too.

I agree.

I enjoyed reading "Incidents in my Life" but I don't think it warranted the review it got from the medical journal.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Neither do I Z

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 pm

I agree with both of you but we need also to see the critical.

I think DD Home was one of the most impressive of all the Mediums and maintained a rational approach throughout his life.

Indeed as a Physical medium his 1878 book Lights and Shadows of Spiritualism is a remarkable argument against fraudulent mediumship and in favour of proper scientific testing (which he himself had undertaken). In this he was of course particularly hard on Dark Seances and those who chose to buld Spiritualism on unreliable foundations. To quote
"Out of dark seances, and foolish reports of the same, and unreliable phenomena, andunlimited enthusiasm, they contrive to construct their house."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down