SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tour of UK mediums and mystics

3 posters

Go down

Tour of UK mediums and mystics  Empty Tour of UK mediums and mystics

Post by skfarblum Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:12 am

Does anybody know of such a thing?
I would like the tour to have sceneric,historical and mystical sites.
Actual visits to some seances and places of teaching,would be nice
I live in Israel and Mac and I have exchanged messages in the past.
The Wife and me are retired and live on a kibbutz in the Upper Gallilee
which is itself a very mystical place particularly in the early morning
when the mists arise from the Jordan.
I don't like the usual tours they are not my scene.
So the idea is to see if we can make a tour which would appeal to both of us.
Any suggestions or contacts would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Stephen
(skfarblum is my forum name)
skfarblum
skfarblum

Back to top Go down

Tour of UK mediums and mystics  Empty Re: Tour of UK mediums and mystics

Post by Admin Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:19 am

Hi Stephen,

Good to hear from you again I remember your postings

That sounds like a great idea, as I am in Australia I cannot help a lot on the UK but I am sure there would be a number of places that would be worth visiting which could be tied together in a tour. This if it can be linked in with some of the organisatiosn. Obvious places come to mind the College of Psychic Studies, White Eagle Lodge both the London and Hampshire centres, Naturally the Arthur Findlay College, I am not a great believer in Physical Mediumship but Nanyan Retreat comes to mind. I dare say Helen Da Vita may have some ideas in Ireland. Then we can get to some of the more interesting semi mystical religious places in teh Isles of Scotland and other places; just visiting Skye could be interesting. Ther are a number of Spiritualist Churches that would I expect be of interest the Potts Brothers Bournmeoth SNU church has always been on my radar. The main church in Glasgow (Somerset Place). I am sure people could chip in other places. Outside of Spiritualist centres Back when I was 20 I loved the nights stay at the Bell Inn Skenfrith wher ther is a ruined Castle and lots of atmosphere. Then all you need is some enetreprising individual to pull together a small tour, using decent small hotels/Inns

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skfarblum Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:45 am

Thanks Jim for some fabulous suggestions.Even if the tour idea does not work out,just
researching the places is a great project.
I very much appreciate your positive feedback
Thanks once again.

Stephen
skfarblum
skfarblum

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:59 pm

Hi Stephen - I'm still around and call in here most weeks but you'll find me several times daily at afterlifeforums.com where I'm now its administrator.  

You have some interesting ideas for your tour but I doubt anything is available 'out of the box'.  A travel agent would know about any commercial tours but getting to out-of-the-way places will be a challenge unless you're able to rent a vehicle or take a taxi.  Although the UK is tiny, with England even tinier, traveling around can still be a pain and likely to be expensive - most things are nowadays!

Jim has suggested some places that might appeal to you and the UK does have quite a few historical sites if that's what you like but I'm not confident it has any truly mystical places.  I would guess they'd be more in folk's minds than in reality.  Wink

If you do come up with anything that appeals to you then let me know and I'll research what I can from here in England. And unless your currency unit is strong against our UK Pound Sterling, plan on bringing plenty of money.  The UK is an expensive place - I speak from experience!  Laughing

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:31 pm

Sadly Mac a lot of the mystical places are created by mythical stories and people thoughts. Mark you if enough people visit a place then they imprint there energy and feelings in teh ground. I can think of teh number of people who have tried Psychometry on the Pedlars Pack now at Lily Dale. This mythical item first appears when the rather dubious medium O L O A Keeler (bother osf a photographic medium with a faudulent record) presented it to Lily Dale as The Pack. Never any record of one existing in any documents until it arrived fully minted with no provenance, from a man who had quite a few strikes against his name including a run in with Houdini wher he told Harry we are both in teh same game. He was, sadly, a favoyurite in Spiritualist circles so teh pack was accepted unquestioned and people often take it to seek out teh fact by psychometry. By now that pack is so full of facts imprinted in it everyone thinls its real.

Yup mths and mysteries are often in the mind but some imprinted energies are such that you feel it and see it as a hologram and energy because of the evnts that occured in the place. Before I met her Lis had an outstanding Ghots event at Bochym Manor https://weird-world.net/haunted-manors-of-cornwall/ . It stated in teh mist with images of a civil war battle then of images withing the manor of people walking around ther was no inrteraction with live people. You could add that Manor house into the tour Stephen.

Unfortunately teh terryfying place I knew close by our house betwwen Dorking and Newdigate on teh nack lanes is now a paint ball place not teh abandoned public boating lake with a ruined ticket office. I took adults ther as a 12 year old just to watch teh terror envelo them as they walked out of the ticket office (it had been abandoned in WW2 and left to rot, the lake drained because it would help bombers as a landmark. Lots of family discussions the only conclussion we reached was someone was murdered there. This way before I met up with Spiritualism
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skfarblum Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:38 am

Dear Jim and Mac,
What an interesting discussion.
Yes you are quite right Mac,transport would definitely be a problem as I do not drive
as much as I did and I hate traffic.Thanks for your kind offer to research any sites.
Jim very nice ghost stories.Bochym Manor looks from its picture suitably spooky.
At present I am reading

"Dreaming Ahead of Time: Experiences with Precognitive Dreams, Synchronicity and Coincidence

By Gary Lachman."
Have either of you read it?
Would you be interested in discussing this ?
Regards
Stephen
skfarblum
skfarblum

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:40 pm

Not I, Stephen. I've not read many books of any kind for some years, few spiritually-based books and nothing about dreaming.

You can find a dream forum at spiritualforums.com.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by skfarblum Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:07 am

Thanks Mac
kind regards
Stephen
skfarblum
skfarblum

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:56 am

Hi Stephen,

No I have not read that eiter Stephen. I may look at iit but then much could be what is known as spontaneous mediumship. I did a tak about that at the centre some years ago.

This was the basis of a talk I gave on Sunday 19th October at the Centre

Seeing Dead People Not Known to have Died.

This was a direct take from a Google Alert I had gathered as part of my constant information hunt. This drew my attention to recent article from an enewsblog called Epoch Times (http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/1021080-visions-of-dead-loved-ones-not-yet-known-to-have-died/ ). This reviewed a paper of this title written by Dr Bruce Greyson, from the Division of Perceptual Studies, Departments of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Studies University of Virginia Health System. (http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/psychiatry/sections/cspp/dops/greyson-publications/Peak%20in%20Darien-A-H.pdf )

For interest this was the Department where Dr Ian Stephenson wrote his very important papers upon previous lives based upon children’s memories of previous lives.

Dr Greyson’s paper was Subtitled “Peak in Darien” Experiences because the author notes that

“There is one type of vision of the deceased that cannot be attributed plausibly to expectation, which challenges most directly the hypothesis that NDEs are subjective hallucinations and bears most directly on the question of the post-mortem survival of consciousness. Some experiencers on their deathbeds see, and often express surprise at seeing, a recently deceased person of whose death neither they nor anyone around them had any knowledge, thereby excluding the possibility that the vision was a hallucination related to the experiencer’s expectations.

Such NDEs have come to be called “Peak in Darien” cases, after a book by that name published in 1882 by Frances Power Cobbe (Murphy 1945:Cool. Cobbe took the title from a poem by John Keats (1994), reproduced at the beginning of this article. The poem describes the surprise of the Spaniards, who, upon climbing a peak in Darien (in what is now Panama), expect to see a continent laid out before them, but are faced instead with another ocean. Cobbe appropriated
Keats’s metaphor of the unexpected view from the peak in Darien to describe surprising visions of the dying, hidden from others at the deathbed:

The paper goes on to describe three types of “Peak of Darrien” experiences

1. Cases in which the Deceased Person Seen Was Thought by the
Experiencer to Be Alive

In the publication in which she coined the term “Peak in Darien” (1882),
Cobbe described a woman who, as she was dying, suddenly showed joyful surprise and spoke of seeing three of her brothers who had long been dead. She then apparently recognized a fourth brother, who was believed by everyone present to be still living in India. One of those bystanders was so shocked by the fourth brother being seen that she “rushed half-senseless from the room” (Cobbe 1877:378). Sometime thereafter letters arrived announcing the death of the brother in India, which had occurred prior to his dying sister recognizing him. “The Peak in Darien 1877”

In another 19th-century example, psychologist Edmund Gurney and classical scholar F. W. H. Myers reported the case of two brothers, ages three and four, who died of scarlet fever on successive days. Harry, the younger brother, died on November 2, and David, the older brother, died 14 miles away on November 3. David’s family took care to keep him from knowing about Harry’s death, and they felt sure that he did not know. Nevertheless, about an hour before he died, David sat up in bed and, pointing, said distinctly, “There is little Harry calling to me”.

Gurney and Myers also described the case of John Alkin Ogle, who, an hour before he died, saw his brother who had died 16 years earlier, calling him by name. Ogle then called out in surprise, “George Hanley!”— The name of a casual acquaintance in a village 40 miles away—before expiring. His mother, who was visiting from Hanley’s village, then confirmed that Hanley had died 10 days earlier, a fact that no one else in the room had known (Gurney and Myers. 1889:459–460 On Apparitions Occurring Soon or after death Proceedings of SPR).

2. Cases in which the Person Seen Died Immediately before the Vision

Alice Johnson reported a case in which Mrs. Hicks, on her deathbed in England, had a vision of her absent son Eddie, who happened to be dying at the same time in Australia. A few days before Mrs. Hicks died; she looked earnestly at the door to the room and said to her nurse, husband, and daughters, “There is someone outside, let him in.” Her daughter assured her there was no one there and opened the door wider. After a pause, Mrs. Hicks said: “Poor Eddie; oh, he is looking very ill; he has had a fall.” Her family assured her that the last news they had heard from him was that he was quite well, but she continued from time to time to say, “Poor Eddie!” Sometime after she died, her husband received a letter from Australia announcing their son’s death. He had suddenly become feverish the day of his mother’s vision and was found dead, having fallen from his horse at about the time of his mother’s vision (Johnson, 1899:290 Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research” in 1899:290).

More recently, psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross described a Native American woman who was struck by a hit-and-run driver on a highway and, before dying, was comforted by a stranger, who stopped his car to help her. When he asked her if there was anything he could do for her, she said: “If you ever get near the Indian reservation, please tell my mother that I was OK. Not only OK, but very happy because I am already with my dad.” The woman died a few minutes later, before an ambulance arrived. The stranger was so moved that he drove far out of his way to the Indian reservation, where the mother of the victim told him that her husband had died of a coronary 700 miles away, just one hour before the car accident had occurred (Kübler-Ross 1983:208–209 On Children and Death).

3. Cases in which the Deceased Person Seen was Unknown to the Experiencer

Cardiologist Maurice Rawlings described the case of a 48-year-old man who had a cardiac arrest. In a NDE he perceived a gorge full of beautiful colours, lush vegetation, and light, where he met both his stepmother and his biological mother, who had died when he was only 15 months old. His father had remarried soon after his biological mother’s death, and the experiencer had never even seen a photo of her. A few weeks after this episode, his aunt, having heard about this vision, visited and brought a picture of his mother posing with a number of other people. The man had no difficulty picking his mother out of the group, to the astonishment of his father (Rawlings 1978:17–22 Beyond Deaths Door).

Pediatrician Melvin Morse described the case of a 7-year-old boy dying of leukaemia, who told his mother that he had travelled up a beam of light to heaven, where he visited a “crystal castle” and talked with God. The boy said that a man there approached him and introduced himself as an old high school boyfriend of the boy’s mother. The man said he had been crippled in an automobile accident, but in the crystal castle he had regained his ability to walk. The boy’s mother had never mentioned this old boyfriend to her son, but after hearing of this vision, she called some friends and confirmed that her former boyfriend had died the very day of her son’s vision (Morse and Perry 1990:53 Closer to the Light).

Putting some perspective on this Dr Ian Stevenson, in reporting one such case, noted some of the difficulties in his investigation. Although several witnesses may hear the dying person relate the vision, they rarely make any written record of the event before receiving corroboration that the person seen in the vision had indeed died. This lapse permits the explanation that the whole story might be a retrospective falsification of memory. Stevenson did not himself believe that to be plausible in all Peak in Darien cases, but acknowledged that the difficulties of obtaining reliable testimony dissuade many researchers from investing the extraordinary effort, time, and patience required to sift the evidence carefully (Stevenson 1959:22 The uncomfortable facts of extra sensory perception).

Clearly the documented evidence provides very clear support to the view of Spiritualists have established through the process of mediumship, that we survive beyond physical death with our memories and personality intact. These are not examples of that but of the kind of spontaneous mediumship recoded by many in regard to a sensation of contact from loved one’s as they pass to the Spirit Realms. They also, through the words of the people experiencing the event who are not mediums, support those messages mediums do bring back from relatives now in Spirit, about their experiences meeting loved one’s just before their death.

To highlight an example of the type of message that Spiritualist medium’s have received, from a book “ONE HUNDRED CASES FOR SURVIVAL AFTER DEATH” , edited by A. T. BAIRD, published in 1944. This assembles many cases of similar events, categorised over 11 subjects from visions in dreams, on death bed through to mediumship of many kinds including direct voice phenomena and materialisation. This is well worth a read and will shortly be up on the centre’s elibrary ( http://www.nasm.org.au/library.html ).

So to finish an example of direct voice mediumship, case no 81
The Randall Case, from Edward Randall’s book, The Dead Have Never Died
Mr. Edward C. Randall, a lawyer in Buffalo, experimented for twenty years with Mrs. Emily S. French, a very frail and deaf old lady. The medium's deafness was a distinct advantage to Mr. Randall; it created a natural test condition for the medium that the lawyer could not improve on.
"Often," he wrote, "we sat alone in my house and the voice that broke the stillness was not the voice of Mrs. French, nor were her vocal organs used by another. She, being deaf, often failed to hear the voices of spirit people and spoke while they were speaking, such interruptions causing confusion."
In his investigation of Mrs. French over 700 sittings were held, and when she died in 1912 he wrote regarding her:
"The memory of Emily S. French comes like a benediction. She made me her friend by being honest; I made her my friend by being fair and so we worked for twenty years and more to learn how to expel the fear of death from the human heart. She was the noblest woman I have known; she was both honest and brave; she enriched herself by aiding others."
On May 26, 1896, Mr. Randall held a sitting with Mrs. French. At ten o'clock that morning the Brown Building in Buffalo, then being repaired, collapsed and the city was full of rumours that many people had been killed. The number was put at six or seven, but there was no way of ascertaining the truth until the debris could be removed and this would require many days.
At the sitting that evening, four voices announced themselves : William P. Straub, George Metz, Michael Schurzke (a Pole), and Jennie M.Griffin, claiming that they had lost their lives in the fall of the building.
This fact was verified some days later.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skfarblum Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:18 am

Dear Jim,
Thank you for all your hard work, I found it a very informative read.
What stood out for me was the speed of some of the communications.(e.g the collapsed building)
What interests me is what is happening to space-time when people die or
when they dream.
Is there a form of compression of space-time going on here or is it something else?
Regards
Stephen
skfarblum
skfarblum

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:56 am

Hi Stephen,

It is a good question and I suppose its answer may be in the existence of time, which in real terms is a man made concept. Maybe these events expose a flaw in the Physicists model for space-time. I have just finished writing a deep and interesting paper of psychometry which would also, potentially be another problem for teh space-time model. I have noted that with the quantum physics idea of energy entanglement linked with the concepts around zero-point energy the old idea of Ether is beginning to be dusted off and revisted. I admit I did Pure and Applied Maths at A level but the formulas behind these models is beyond my Maths.
Regards
Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skfarblum Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:40 am

Dear Jim,
I am certainly in agreement with your thoughts about there being a flaw
in modern physics understanding of space-time.
Coincidentally(perhaps not),I am reading about Colin Wilson and Lethbridge's
work on psychometry and that we live in an "information universe."
What are your plans for your paper on psychometry?
Do you think the idea of "the akashik records" play a role in it?
By the way we are way off the original subject.
Would you like to move to a new subject heading?
I am perfectly happy to continue as we are doing,as this is your forum I am leaving it to your discretion.
Regards
Stephen
skfarblum
skfarblum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down