SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Materialized Spirit figures: what are they?

+4
mac
KatyKing
petal34
Left Behind
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Materialized Spirit figures: what are they? Empty Materialized Spirit figures: what are they?

Post by Left Behind Wed May 23, 2012 2:28 am

When a Spirit materializes at a seance: is it wholly constructed from ectoplasm?

Is it the Spirit's etheric/spirit body, coated with ectoplasm to make it visible?

Is it something else?

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Materialized Spirit figures: what are they? Empty Re: Materialized Spirit figures: what are they?

Post by petal34 Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 am

Left Behind wrote:When a Spirit materializes at a seance: is it wholly constructed from ectoplasm?

Is it the Spirit's etheric/spirit body, coated with ectoplasm to make it visible?

Is it something else?

Jim

I think,please correct me if I am wrong,is it not the spirit form coated with ectoplasm?
Joan
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Materialized Spirit figures: what are they? Empty Re: Materialized Spirit figures: what are they?

Post by KatyKing Wed May 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Yes they are Jim and rods would be solid or else they could not effect the physical lifts and raps they do whereas a manifestation of a face or body might be a thin membrane of ectoplasm moulded to make a shape and consequently 'hollow'. . In the sense that the word ectoplasm is a conflation of two Greek ones (Outside & Formed) it describes the manifested material that is 'formed outside' the medium's body
But to say all that opens a debate on what ectoplasm might actually consist of because there's no agreed chemical definition.
H2O is always water but what is ectoplasm 'made up' of?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed May 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Was it on this website that I ran an 'ectoplasm' thread/enquiry a short while back?

It was in respect of Kai Muegge's reported ectoplasm production....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Couldn't post the hyperlink here so sent it to Jim LB. Wax casts of spirit hands. Very impressive. Must be a relatively solid substance to maintain its shape in dense and quite heavy molten wax. They experimented with rubber gloves as well and pics of those results too. No comparison.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Thu May 24, 2012 12:33 am

KatyKing wrote:Couldn't post the hyperlink here so sent it to Jim LB. Wax casts of spirit hands. Very impressive. Must be a relatively solid substance to maintain its shape in dense and quite heavy molten wax. They experimented with rubber gloves as well and pics of those results too. No comparison.

Got it, Peter, thanks! Running a bit late tonight, so will give it a look tomorrow.

One thing that always struck me is reading of several seances where a physician present actually took the pulse of the ectoplasmic spirit figure! Shocked

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Thu May 24, 2012 12:35 am

petal34 wrote:
Left Behind wrote:When a Spirit materializes at a seance: is it wholly constructed from ectoplasm?

Is it something else?

Jim

I think,please correct me if I am wrong,is it not the spirit form coated with ectoplasm?
Joan

That's what I thought, Joanie, and that ties in with the idea of being able to take the ectoplasmic figure's pulse. What, other than a living body of some sort, would emit a pulse?

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Thu May 24, 2012 6:32 am

Now you have me thinking,Jim.
Does a spirit form have a pulse? Wink
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 am

Mac said it well earlier on, look around the forum, read the threads, look at the book links and the connection to the Harrisons. All you need is on here and elsewhere (even in the links from this site) you only need eyes to see.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Jim LB we cannot tell you what ectoplasm is, you asked it earlier and received replies. Nowadays I believe Spirit would move on from base chemistry to physics but Physical Mediumship is stuck in the mud.

Look round but first learn Spiritualism's history beyond Doyle's books. It is vital for Spiritualists to give up on tea and cake to learn philosophy and history.

Modern books and mediums will teach little it is time to go back to square one, a time when scientists, psychologists and philosophers came together in Spiritualism.

Tea and cake, with warm fluffy feelings, is just that, unsubstantial and not beneficial to the movement. Start your study of history and philosophy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Thu May 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Absolutely. It is our world and if we wish to pursue elevation, the impetus must come from ourselves, with each step being considered, planned and executed on the foundation of earlier examination and acceptance.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

I think the empirical scientists gave up on us a long time ago. The only research funding in any UK university that I know of is at Bristol and that's qualitative anthropolgy rather than quantitative empiricism. Tea and cakes for a while yet Jim . Shame we can't get Templeton or one of the big trusts to foot the bill but the minute you mention the S word the cash drawer slams shut.
Independent researchers can only do so much and unless conclusions are peer reviewed and replicable then however strong the indications, to all intents and purposes the ressearch will never be accepted by the academy. These days unless research brings in the money from day one then it does not happen in a UK university.
Chelsea bun anyone?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Jim LB could you post that link I sent to you on here please?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 pm

petal34 wrote:Now you have me thinking,Jim.
Does a spirit form have a pulse? Wink

According to Maurice Barbanell, and Tom Harrison, the answer is YES. I'll have to get their exact quotes.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri May 25, 2012 8:56 pm

If KatyKing were a materialization medium, would his ectoplasm consist of tea and cakes?

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri May 25, 2012 9:02 pm

KatyKing wrote:Jim LB could you post that link I sent to you on here please?

Here we are:

http://www.metapsychique.org/The-Kluski-Hands-Moulds.html

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri May 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Admin wrote:Jim LB we cannot tell you what ectoplasm is, you asked it earlier and received replies. Nowadays I believe Spirit would move on from base chemistry to physics but Physical Mediumship is stuck in the mud.

Look round but first learn Spiritualism's history beyond Doyle's books. It is vital for Spiritualists to give up on tea and cake to learn philosophy and history.

Modern books and mediums will teach little it is time to go back to square one, a time when scientists, psychologists and philosophers came together in Spiritualism.

Tea and cake, with warm fluffy feelings, is just that, unsubstantial and not beneficial to the movement. Start your study of history and philosophy.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, Jim, but my question wasn't about the composition of ectoplasm.
It was about the composition of materialized Spirit figures. Are they wholly ectoplasm? Are they the Spirit bodies, covered in ectoplasm? Are they something else?

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sat May 26, 2012 6:33 am

Left Behind wrote:
Admin wrote:Jim LB we cannot tell you what ectoplasm is, you asked it earlier and received replies. Nowadays I believe Spirit would move on from base chemistry to physics but Physical Mediumship is stuck in the mud.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, Jim, but my question wasn't about the composition of ectoplasm.
It was about the composition of materialized Spirit figures. Are they wholly ectoplasm? Are they the Spirit bodies, covered in ectoplasm? Are they something else?

Was there ever a photo of spirit hands clothed in ectoplasm from long ago?
I seem to remember seeing a very old photo in one old book back from when I was a teenager.
Never forgotten it.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by nick pettitt Sun May 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Left Behind wrote:

from my own experiences I would say that they are not spirit bodies covered in ectoplasm.
They are just ectoplasm which has been extruded from a medium by spirit chemists, had a few ingredients added to it to make it physically visible and tangible and then the controlling spirit has projected it's thoughts into it to make it resemble how it's physical body looked, felt and sounded.

nick pettitt

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 pm

But how could that animated projection register a pulse?

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by nick pettitt Mon May 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Left Behind wrote:But how could that animated projection register a pulse?

I suppose if a spirit is able to project it's thoughts into the ectoplasm to create a life like replica of it's former self that walks and talks, adding a working pulse to it would be a piece of cake...

nick pettitt

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon May 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Left Behind wrote:But how could that animated projection register a pulse?

I just realised that,Jim.
Remember in the book by Mathieson....thought can produce wonders. Very Happy
Joan
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks for making those very good points Nick I agree with you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Tue May 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Interesting. I thought that the ectoplasmic figures would be the actual spirit body, covered in ectoplasm, to make it visible in and to give it th ability to interact with those in our dimension. But who knows? Smile

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Left Behind wrote:Interesting. I thought that the ectoplasmic figures would be the actual spirit body, covered in ectoplasm, to make it visible in and to give it th ability to interact with those in our dimension. But who knows? Smile

Have you ever read the accounts of materialisation taken from the NAS,it was either there or some other account where a description was given of the Ectoplasm exuding from the medium's body, this covering certain portions of the spirit body.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next