SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emanuel Swedenborg

5 posters

Go down

Emanuel Swedenborg  Empty Emanuel Swedenborg

Post by Skye Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Can any one comment on Emanuel Swedenborg's books or literature? What I'm basically asking is are they worth buying or reading in relation to Spiritualism?

Skye

Back to top Go down

Emanuel Swedenborg  Empty Re: Emanuel Swedenborg

Post by Admin Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi Skye,

I think teh works may be somewhat old fashioned in language and at variance with Spiritualism. The New Church, which he founded, still exists. Swedenborg is well worth looking up and undoutedly his teachings were one of the major influences on Spiritualism.

Of course the impact was heightened because Andrew Jackson Davis was particularly influenced by the teachings of Swedenborg. Probably one of the key isues was his teaching rejected the Holy Trinity, bringing out the Spirit within. However, this view was shared by the Unitarians, Universalists and sympathetic to Quaker teachings. As these movements were all to provide many of the pioneers of Spiritualism then it is hard to define which had most impact on early philosophy.

What is absolutely certain is that Davis's Harmonial Philosophy Association was a very major impact.

This book may give you a better idea of the issues. Written in 1846 by George Bush (not I trust a predecessor of the 2 Presidents), who was a major write about Swedenborgs New Church it discusses Swedenborg, mesmerism (another huge influence upon Spiritualism) and draws in Andrew Jackson Davis.

The pdf download is at
http://ia700305.us.archive.org/19/items/mesmerandsweden00bushgoog/mesmerandsweden00bushgoog.pdf

Broad details of the book are at
http://www.archive.org/details/mesmerandsweden00bushgoog
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:25 am

Skye wrote:Can any one comment on Emanuel Swedenborg's books or literature? What I'm basically asking is are they worth buying or reading in relation to Spiritualism?

Skye,The Swenborg Society is based in London and details are available here:

http://www.swedenborg.org.uk/contact

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks for the link Jim. It looks like I have a far bit of reading to do. Smile I have read a short section of the pdf dowload and can see how Swedenborg's teaching had an influence on Spiritualism. I can understand the difficulty in deciding who or which section of society had the most impact on the Spiritualist movement or Spiritualism. In one aspect I doubt it matters, more so to those in the spirit world. I feel they would have been pleased to learn truth was gaining interest.

I'm not sure I could consider mesmerism as a way to contact spirit, but I believe the interest in mesmerism continues, although I don't know if it's for the same reason as Swedenborg's.

I don't know if Davis's Harmonial Philosophy is available as an E-book but this may be worth buying either way. A book to put on my wish list.

Z, thanks for this link too. I will check it out later.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Almost all of Andrew Jackson Davis's books are available as pdf downloads Skye.

Mesmerism is very interesting because the "mediumship" without the influence of Spirit appears very early on, The Seeress of Prevorst" is worthwhile and downloadble as is the material concerning the Didier brothers.

I often look back at this time as the proof of our innate psychic, as opposed to mediumsistic, abilities.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:50 am

Thanks again Jim. That will save me some money.

I can understand what you are saying about mesmerism it does make for interesting reading I suppose. I don't know anything about the subject, so I can't comment. For instance, would this method work to prove our continued survival in the way mediumship does or should?

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:42 am

One of the most important things is to realise that neither in Mesmerism nor in the associated "magnetic mediumship", through which this information was obtained, was there any suggestion of Spirit involvement. At no time was this related to communication to prove survival.

It is, however, a brilliant example of the way in which a Psychic can work, communication linking our energy field with that of the universe to obtain information which we could not know specifically when we link to another individual. The earliest forms of psychometry appeared thought this means and this is very much a psychic skill not mediumship unles specifically used to communicate with the discarnate energy of a loved one (if they happen to be present).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 am

From the little I have read Jim, I had assumed survival of the human spirit was not related to Mesmerism. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 am

Strangely (or maybe not so strangely) some of those who supported Mesmerism were fierce critics of Spiritualism. One, John Elliotson, caused huge problems with Maria Hayden when she arrived as one of the first US mediums to visit the UK. Subsequently he was converted by seeing the great Dd Home at work.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by equal-spirit Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:05 pm

When presented with new information, anyone is liable to make mistakes in interpretation. But I really liked Swedenborg's interpretation of angels and relate it to the Spiritualist concept of different incarnations belonging to a single "higher soul."

equal-spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane Lyzell Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Swedenborg is frome sweden ore was Very Happy Very Happy - nice

Mesmaier if I remeber right was invold Whit trance and healing!
Jane Lyzell
Jane Lyzell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down